Friday, March 3, 2023

Tornadoes, Medicine and Laundry

 Location: Midway Park Campground (COE); Waco, Texas

Yesterday was a good day, except for almost getting mugged or blown away by tornadoes. Everything worked out just fine so it's all good. 

Walmart came through for me as usual. They successfully transferred one of my prescriptions from Mansfield, Louisiana to Waco, Texas and filled it within 2 hours. During that 2 hours I was able to get my laundry done, get a couple gel pillows (future seat cushions) from Big Lot's and a Belt Buster combo from Dairy Queen. That finished up my shopping for stuff in Waco. 

The laundromat that I thought was a modern one based on pictures online, turned out to be 80's modern. But they did the job just fine. The place and location was a little sketchy as I entered but since there was an older lady and two well dressed men inside, I thought, "let's get it done while I'm here". By the time my clothes were ready for the dryer, the place was empty except for me. Right after I put my clothes in to dryer and sat down, a couple guys showed up and neither of them had clothes to wash. Of course that turned my radar on and I became very aware of the possibilities. I began wishing I had left my wallet, truck keys and cell phone in the truck and had memorized the lock code for the truck. Oh well, I stood up and faced them to let them know that I was ready. It was then one turned towards the candy machine and the other went to the bathroom. Before the one guy got out of the bathroom, the other had left the laundromat. The bathroom guy was in there for about 10 minutes before re-entering the main room. After he came out he was looking for his partner. When he didn't see him, he instead stopped near me and asked if I knew what time it was. I told him, no I didn't. He took the last swig of his Coke and said, "Ok, I'll see you around" and left. Thinking back on it I'm not sure what it was. It could have been all innocent, or something else, but I'm glad I played it safe than sorry. I think I'll follow my rule about usually using laundromats near colleges in college towns. 

The online pictures with the reviews didn't show the dryers on the left, only the ones on the right. 

The weathermen had been predicting storms with high winds for a couple of days. Their prediction came true just after sunset (no pictures). Tornado warnings went up around the area with a tornado siren going off. I hadn't heard one of those in many years. It is an eerie sound, almost science fiction sounding. The rains started out light then got heavier and heavier as the lightening and thunder started. The winds came next and grew in strength for about 15 minutes and stayed at that strength for another 15 minutes. About half way through, I thought about getting my shoes on in case I needed to go outside or something. But it didn't get beyond the thinking stage. After about an hour of excitement, the siren stopped, the tornado warnings were lifted and the rain decreased to a slow and steady rain. I was real happy with the way Liberty2 handled the winds. She did better than Liberty. Good deal Lucille.

They say what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Something must be wrong, because I don't feel stronger. 

Today is short moving day so I need to post this and start getting things ready. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.  


1 comment: