Monday, March 6, 2023

DG Bacon & Sunset (mostly pictures)

Location: Cedar Ridge Campground (COE); Temple, Texas

It was a lazy day around the campsite. I did walk around the campground a little. I was surprised that there were more people still here. Around noon, I got a hankering for a burger and fries but didn't want to go into the big city about 15 miles away. (I told you it was a lazy day). So, I found a hamburger food truck just a couple miles away in a community called Moffat. No other restaurant or cafe was listed online in the community. Off I went. It was closed. Oh no, not another one of those day, I thought. There was a Dollar General (DG) near by and since they started carrying food products, I knew they would have the bacon that I liked. So, instead of burgers and fries, I would fix some bacon and eggs back at Liberty2. Surprise, surprise, when I pulled into the parking lot, there was a burger food truck there that was not listed online. It worked out perfectly. I ordered a cheeseburger and fries and while they cooked it I did a little shopping. Yep, I still got the bacon. After putting my DG stuff in the truck, I walked over and got my burger and fries and headed back to the campsite a couple miles away. It was a nice lunch on my picnic table with a great view. I fixed some of the bacon later on for supper. A few months ago, I started cooking my bacon in the microwave. Paper plate, two layers of paper towel, 3 slices of bacon (not touching), paper towel to cover and in a little over 3 minutes on high, perfectly crisp bacon. The bonus is no washing dishes, everything is just thrown away. I wish I could say I planned the food truck and stuff, but it was all accidental. Or the big fancy word, serendipitous. I think a lot of us learned that word from the Serendipity Singers in the 70's. Of course back then, we had to look it up in the dictionary. Today, we would call that a "hard copy". 

There is a really good cheeseburger and fries in the box. And the ketchup is 50% less in sugar and sodium. Win, Win.

Along the lines of serendipity, while typing this post, a herd of deer just wandered through my campsite. I was lucky I had the blinds raised on the back window next to the laptop. That may mean it's going to be a good day.

That is two of about a dozen that wandered through the campsite. It's not a good picture since it was quick and my cell phone camera is trying to focus on the window frame. It was nice.

This campsite is convenient to the creek for sunset pictures. No serendipity there, I planned that. Thank you Google Earth.

There is a private subdivision on the other side of the creek. Hard to see, but they are there.


The subdivision explains where the people came from that I saw fishing off that little peninsula at sundown the other day. 



This area is a buzzard's roost. There are about 30 or so buzzards that roost on top of those electrical towers. They are soaring around early in the morning and around sundown. They are an ugly bird, but sure fly pretty.


Sunset through the tree.

Sunset through another tree.

This one is my favorite. The trees and bushes are framing the sunset. Night ya'll.

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be headed about 50 miles south to the next COE campground. I'm liking these short hauls. I don't have to travel a couple hundred miles to find something different. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.

 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good day . Wishing you many more in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sunset pictures!
    I have discovered "cooked bacon", it comes in a box that I can leave in a cupboard until I open it. It has 10 pieces in plastic in the box, I'll microwave a few (10-12 sec) when I want some or just chop it up and add it to the scrambled eggs or quick grits. I put the open box in the fridge until next time.
    I've always got bacon ready when I want it!
    They also sell bacon that is half cooked and you NEED to finish it in the micro wave, not the same thing... after I bought that I started doing a better job reading the labels :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried that "already cooked" bacon. It's not too bad. I've also tried turkey bacon. It has its own place in the food chain, but maybe should not call it bacon.

      Delete