Friday, February 10, 2023

Let's take a trip

Location: New Rockdale RV Park, Mansfield, Louisiana

Well, it's be a while since I've posted to the blog or taken a trip. Things are going along good around the home-front so I feel comfortable about doing some traveling in Liberty2. Saying Liberty2 still sounds strange. Ole Liberty has went to live with a family about 20 miles north of here. I towed her there and set her up myself. When pulling out of the campsite, we drove in front of Liberty2 and it sure sounded like Liberty told Liberty2, "he's going to take you to a lot of nice places, so take good care of him." It was a short but memory provoking trip as the three of us reminisced about all of the places we had been together. After getting her set up, nice and level under a shade tree, Freedom and I drove off. With a tear running down Freedom's headlight, I swear I heard Liberty tell us, "Don't worry about me, I'll be alright here, ya'll go on and have fun." And so we left.

Freedom, Liberty2 and Liberty

Unless new readers go back and read some of the blog, they are going to think I'm touched in the head after reading that opening paragraph. When you travel as many miles alone as I have, inanimate things become more personal to you. To me, it's limited to the truck and RV. I haven't gotten to the point of naming my socks and drawers.

So, if you're slow on the uptake, I have a new RV. It is a 2023 Forest River Rpod model 201. She is 25 feet long and weighs in at around 6,000 pounds. Goodyear Endurance tires came standard on her two axles. Also as standard items are a 200 watt roof mounted solar panel, 30 amp solar controller, a 2000 watt inverter, a central vacuum system and a combination microwave/convection oven instead of a gas oven. I have played around enough with the solar to know what all it will do but intend to practice a couple times on this trip before arriving at some planned boondocking locations. I haven't used the central vacuum yet because I'm stuck in the past with my two old small vacuums, don't fix it if it ain't broke, thank you. I really like the convection oven and will not miss the absence of the gas oven since I rarely, rarely ever used it in Liberty. Did I mention there are ZERO slides. None, nada. :) 

Leaving date is Sunday (day after tomorrow). As I've said many times before, I like to pick a destination location and then slowly work my way there with several campground stops along the way. This time, the destination is a place we've camped at a couple of times in the past. It is Mustang Island down near Corpus Christi, Texas. Before getting there, we will camp in (8)-Corps of Engineers CG's, (1)-Texas State park CG, (2)-County owed CG's, and (1)-National Seashore CG. We should arrive at Mustang Island on March 26 with average stays per campground of 4 days.

That should be close to the route and campgrounds

For those of ya'll who have followed Brandon's medical miracles, he is doing great. He had bloodwork for the transplant team the other day and only two items were barely out of the normal range. Good job Brandon. 

I'll try to fill in more of the blanks from the last several months during the trip. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.    

8 comments:

  1. Be safe while trying to have tooooo much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Barney. Watch out for those "all thorns".

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your trip and thanks for letting us follow along. Vern in Boise Id.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Vern. It will take a day or so to get back in the swing of things. I sure liked Idaho when I was up there,,,,especially Shoshone Falls.

      Delete
  3. It's good to see you writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good hearing from you Rob,,, I hope all is well with you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you back on the road. We are heading to Austin, maybe I’ll run in to ya down there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello John. The nearest I'll be to Austin will be a couple COE campgrounds around Georgetown which is a little ways north of Austin. I hope ya'll are still enjoying the open road.

    ReplyDelete