Sunday, February 12, 2023

Lake 'O The Pines (COE)

 Location: Buckhorn Creek Campground (COE); near Jefferson, Texas

I pulled out of Mansfield around noon. Check-in time at this campground is 3:00 p.m. so I had to dawdle with hitching up and getting everything battened down inside Liberty2. This is the first trip where I have most of my stuff with me. I towed Liberty2 900 miles after picking her up at the dealership in Ohio but she was mostly bare inside. It's a big difference after loading all of my stuff inside. I will need to make some changes since some of my stuff flew around inside Liberty2. All of the changes will being in the area aft of the wheels. It's no big deal and I'm glad nothing broke in the process of telling me what changes I need to make. 

The tow was a short one of only 100 miles. There were at least 4 bad bumps that were unavoidable. They were equally divided between Louisiana and Texas. I'm getting darn tired of hitting these bumps while hearing the Democrats praise the "infrastructure bill". The infrastructure is falling apart and has been for the last several years. Oh well, I just broke one of my rules about "no politics in the blog". Sorry, not sorry.

Campsite E113 with Lake 'O The Pines in the background.

This is the typical Piney Woods of Northeast Texas. I plan to include a typical road shot in every area I go to so we can see how the landscape changes from place to place. 

Lake 'O The Pines is a very large lake created by building a dam across the Big Cypress Bayou. The main purpose is to control flooding in the Red River Basin. Since Big Cypress Bayou is a main tributary to the Red, controlling the release of water is critical. People in the area and in Louisiana says the fishing is great but since I don't fish, I don't know for sure. I do know there were lots of boats on the lake today. 

Tomorrow, I'll explore Jefferson, Texas. It used to be a major riverboat hub before changes in Louisiana stopped it. I hope to learn more from a museum tomorrow. Yeah, yeah, I know I've said before that I've became jaded as to small museums over the years, but since I'm "an open minded person" (don't listen to some people that know me), I'm willing to give it a second fourth tenth chance.

I'll end this post with some sunset pictures. Sunsets are one of my objectives on this trip. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'll give this one a 4.

One bare tree with a lot of water

The sun touching the horizon.

That's Liberty2 on the left

The sky beginning to catch fire

The birds (pelicans?) flying to a roosting spot for the night. This will be a different picture in a few months when the trees leaf out.

Final shot. The sun is tucked in for night and I'll soon be following. Nite, ya'll.

It felt good being on the road again and also to be blogging. I have a feeling this trip will do wonders to put some personal demons in their safe place. "Silent Echoes" can be good and bad. 
 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.

6 comments:

  1. Safe Travels and nice sunset pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon,,,,, I'm glad you're along for the trip.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you rolling again. It is good for our souls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "shake down cruse" eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rob. Yep, it was definitely a shake down cruise. I found a few things that I need to stow better. But, at least there weren't any concussion grenades thrown over the side like it was on my shake down cruise in the Navy. Be safe.

      Delete