Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Civilization at Waco, Texas

Location: Midway Park Campground (COE); Waco, Texas

I'm still trying to get caught up on the blog after being deprived of reliable internet access. I arrived around 2:00 p.m. on last Sunday with a weather advisory for high winds (40 mph gusts) beginning at 4:00 p.m. and lasting through the night. They weren't wrong this time. The winds hit sometime during the night and buffeted Liberty2 enough to wake me up. She handled it well and after a few minutes she rocked me back to sleep.

This is a nice little COE campground right on the edge of Waco. About three years ago, I stayed at the COE campground on the northern part of Lake Waco. Of the two, I prefer this one since it is much closer to all the stores and restaurants. Since I saw all of the sites that interested me in Waco back then, I won't be doing much exploring here. I have a few modification projects to Liberty2 and this is a good place to get the supplies I need. I have a four day stay in a small town in about two weeks so if I get everything now, it will give me something to do then.

I got stopped at a red-light in a small town on the way to Waco. It must have been the county seat because there was a nice courthouse waiting for me to take a picture. One of those nice, unexpected surprises.

The landscape picture. A little different, but not much.

Campsite at Midway Park. A nice pull-thru with two big fifth-wheels on either side. I heard soft, muffled talk and realized the two fiver's were picking on Little Liberty2. Well, she told them all about her "big sister", Liberty, and they quieted down. 

Since Comanche disappointed me about the Reuben Sandwich, I decided to make my own. I was headed to H-E-B to buy some tortillas to see if they tasted as good as I remembered. They didn't. I was counting on them to be good but they were "gummy". There are at least three HEB's here in Waco, so I may give them a second chance at another store. But I wasn't disappointed with the Reuben Sandwich I made in Liberty2 with the fixing I bought along with the tortillas. It was good. But I also made an impulse buy at Walmart in preparation for fixing the Reuben. Although I could use one of my skillets and gas stove to fix it, I was thinking out of my head out of the box and thought a small electric skillet would be nice. That way I wouldn't have to move everything off of the stove cover to do a little cooking. Somewhat ashamedly, I bought a 12 X 16 electric skillet with a hinged lid. I'm not sure where she is going to be stored while underway, but I'll adapt. If it doesn't work out, I'll give it away when I get back to home-base in a couple of months.


The sunset, before the winds blew, wasn't too bad. The best part was the cool breeze blowing in off the lake. It was one of those perfect weather moments combined with a pretty view. It took a while to let it all soak in while the stress floated away on the wind. It was nice.

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I hope the skillet does everything you want it to do! Trying new things is a good thing...

    ReplyDelete