Sunday, February 15, 2015

Goodbye Tucson and People Watching

Location: Pima County Fairgrounds RV Park (El. 3,100); Tucson, Arizona

(click pictures to enlarge)

I went to the Pima Air and Space Museum and at first, I really didn't care for it too much. That bothered me because museums are usually right up my alley. After thinking about it, I guess I was just burned out on air museums since this was my third and they are mostly all the same. So instead of focusing on the displays, I people watched and eavesdropped instead, which proved much more interesting. I would hang around and try to listen to what the people were saying about some of the displays. Sometimes they would go up to the planes and touch them as if they were making a connection with the past or with people that had passed. It was more enlightening than seeing the planes and stuff. It was a reminder that memories are magical and if we can hold onto ours until the end, then that is just lagniappe (for my yankee friends, that means "a little something extra").


Nice entrance. Most of the people were either WWII or Vietnam era people. 

A replica of the Wright Brothers first airplane from 1903. We were all taught that the Wright Brothers flew the first airplane. However, there is some doubt about that now. Apparently a fellow named Gustave Whitehead flew a plane in Connecticut 2 years before the Wright Brothers. There is supposedly photographic proof of Whiteheads flight. Jane's All the World's Aircraft  is the foremost publication on all airplanes and they officially recognized Whitehead as the first in their 2013 publication. The Smithsonian has refused to follow suit but they seem to have a conflict of interest. The Wright brothers estate donated the Wrights first airplane to the Smithsonian with a stipulation. The stipulation was that if the Smithsonian ever recognized anyone other than the Wrights as being the first to fly then they would lose the airplane. Why would the Wrights make such a stipulation way back in 1948 unless they knew something they weren't telling. News like this just makes us more jaded than we are already. 

This Vietnam era helicopter got a lot of attention. The following were some quotes from people I overheard:

"This baby saved my life more than once".
"Yep, this is what he was flying when he was shot down".
"We sure were glad to see these show up".

A World War II bomber.

"Your granddad flew in one of these".
"He said he bailed out, but not sure if it was like this".
Planes everywhere. This is just one small section.

What started out as a boring exploration of the museum turned into an experience well remembered. 



I had forgotten to get a picture of the campsite. The campground is barebones and a little crowded but it has full hook-ups and very reasonably priced. It was worth staying here as the home base to explore the area. 

Tonight's sunset. Not the best, but it will do for now.

Tomorrow is moving day. I'll be heading about 160 miles north to a campground about a dozen miles west of Phoenix. I have reservations for 4 days there. The weather will dictate what direction I go after the 4 days. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment