Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Moving Day and A Bump in the Night

Location: San Angelo State Park (el. 2,000 ft); San Angelo, Texas

(all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia 929 cell phone)
(click picture to enlarge)

Before leaving Amarillo, I found a nice RV museum located inside one of the RV dealerships. It seems to be the personal collection of the owner and some of his friends. The price was right (free) and I had some time so I went inside. There were several vintage RV's and motorcycles. It was good to wander around through the past. I took several pictures, but due to the small space of the museum, only a few turned out.
I liked the motorcycle but I also liked
the old metal flyswatter on the left.
I remember those, do you?


This old Airstream was hanging in the air
so I couldn't see inside. The list of places
on the left are of the Airstream Caravans
that were done to prove the worth of the
Airstream RV. I wasn't able to confirm
if this one actually took part in those caravans,
but if it did, that's a good one to have.

This picture gives an idea of the layout
of the place. The RV bus is from the
Robin WIlliams movie
  











Sunrise over Oasis RV Park

Amarillo surprised me. I wasn't expecting such a nice place that had so many good vibrations. I will add it to my list of "good vib places". There's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere.

I pulled out of Amarillo early with a 325 mile tow ahead of me. I violated my "rule of 2's" but it was OK, this time. What is the "rule of 2's"? It's "travel no more than 200 miles per day, get to the campground by 2:00 and stay at least 2 days." Well, I definitely blew the 200 mile and 2:00 part, but will be staying here for 3 days to make up for it. Here is, San Angelo State Park. I chose it because it is along the way to where I'm going, which is the Galveston area. There are a couple things to see here, but not sure if I will be able to do them due to bad weather being predicted for this area over the next few days. I left Amarillo before the rains hit there and dodged some pretty bad looking thunder-busters as I passed through Lubbock. I would like to see this place get some rain to help break the drought they are in, but maybe not heavy rain while I'm here. 
Typical landscape in the Texas Panhandle. I passed miles and miles of cultivated fields on both sides of the highway. This is in stark contrast to the many fields that are laying fallow in several of the southern states. 

This was the only tree for many miles. I would imagine everyone has been protecting it for a long time.

It's not a good picture, but those are bales of cotton in the distance. I passed mile after mile of cotton fields. All were in different stages of harvesting. I hadn't realized this part of Texas was such a large cotton producer.

As the land started changing from farm land to cattle range, wind farms started showing up. 

This is what a lot of the area looks like around here. Hilly and dry.

The boat ramp in the park indicates the low water level of the lake due to the drought. Based on the dam, I would estimate it to be about 20 feet low, at least.
This is my campsite for the next few days. 
Oh, I almost forgot "the bump in the night". Last night as I was turning in, something bumped Liberty. The bump was big enough to shake her and me.  I've been living in Liberty for 2 years now and I can tell when something isn't normal. This was not normal. There are only a few other campers in this campground and it would be out of the ordinary for any of them to be wandering around someone else's campsite at 10:00 pm. I thought it may have been an animal rubbing against the landing gear but still not sure. I waited to see if another bump would occur and when one didn't, I went on to sleep. Maybe tonight I will leave some of the outside lights on. I'll check for tracks or signs outside after making this post and maybe a second cup of coffee.

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.



  

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Rob. Don't know what caused it. No signs or tracks. I'm asking around if it happened to anyone else

      Delete
  2. Bumps in the night are generally not good. I'm reminded of tent camping in Maine's bear country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rich. I agree they usually aren't good. I'm still not sure what this one was. Good hearing from you.

      Delete
  3. The water hyacinth park in the big city park is well worth the time to see it in San Angelo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We visited San Angelo SP last March. The lake was totally dry then. It looks strange with water in it. They told me that it had not had water in it since 1988. I guess the rains earlier this year put some significant water in it. Here is a link to the entry with pictures of the empty lake.

    http://ktmissouri.blogspot.com/2015/03/san-angelo-state-park.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shawn. The lake will get more water soon. Storms are to hit here tonight and tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I spent a week in Galveston and really enjoyed learning some of the history. Take one of the city tours. Did you know Galveston has an opera house. I don't remember the name of the old hotel but they have a tour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha. I've been there several times but never took any tours. I may do some this time. Thanks

      Delete