Freedom and Liberty

Freedom and Liberty
I travel in Freedom but sleep in the security of Liberty (not only on the road, but in this amazing country of ours)

Monday, October 26, 2015

Chased the Rain to Stephen F. Austin SP

Location: Stephen F. Austin State Park (el. 175 ft); San Felipe, Texas

(all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia 929 cell phone)
(click pictures to enlarge)

Knowing I had a 370 mile tow ahead of me, I pulled out of San Angelo State Park early. I was emptying my tanks shortly after sunrise and was on the road by 8:15.
That has to be one of the earliest departure times for me in a very long time. The skies were clear but after checking the Radar, I knew I may catch up to the rain before reaching my destination. Sure enough, about 1 hour from my new campground, the rains started. My choices were to go ahead and set up in the rain or pull over an wait. 


As I was deciding, a Rest Area sign appeared. Perfect. I pulled in and reclined my seat. Just as I was about to nod off into a nice nap while listening to the raindrops pitty-pat on the roof, some jake-leg trucker pulled in beside me and put his rig in high idle while he went inside the rest area. After waiting for 15 minutes and he not returning, I pulled out and headed on my way. 

I arrived at Stephen F. Austin State Park with a light rain falling but I knew it would end in just a few minutes.
There are two deer in this picture.
Can you find the other one?
The park is about 50 miles west of Houston, Texas. I camped here in December of last year as I began my swing through the western states.

The campsites are nice and level with the park located only a couple miles from Interstate 10. The sites are full hook-ups but since I'll only be here one night, I won't need them. 


I'll pull out this morning about 10:00 with hopes of being on the other side of Houston by 12:00 where I'll stop at a Walmart before heading on to Bolivar Peninsula. I will be passing through Galveston and will take the Ferry to the Peninsula. I will be staying in the same campground from October of last year. I'm looking forward to seeing the water again. I haven't seen the ocean or the Gulf in a long time. I think I'll really enjoy the Ferry ride this time. 

The weather should be clear by then with just a little bit of rain showers. I don't mind the little rain at all.

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment