Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Weather Has Improved; Time to Move

Location: Galveston Island State Park; Galveston, Texas

 Today is the 4th and last day here at Galveston. It has been a nice, restful and mostly peaceful stay. In a weird way, the winter weather added to the "nice-ness". The decision to come here was the correct one. But, the cold weather has now passed and it is time to head on back to North Louisiana for a couple of doctor's appointment in the next few weeks. Since it is still a little chilly back there I've decided to break the return trip up by staying four days at Rayburn Park which is a little more than half way back. It is a Corps of Engineers campground on the north side of Sam Rayburn Reservoir. It is a very isolated campground with the nearest decent sized town about 20 to 30 minutes away. The campsite I've chosen has what looks like a great view so I plan to just kick back and relax. That may prove to be a bad thing and if it does then I'll just hitch up and head on back to Mansfield. This entire trip continues to echo the fulltime RV'ers adage of "My plans are made in Jello". For non-RV'ers, that is a play on the words 'plans made in stone'. The jello part means the plans can easily be changed. 

I haven't explored anything new since I've been here and have mainly re-traced steps from some of the many previous trips I've made to Galveston. It is a town that seems to bring instant peace when I get here. One of the places I re-visited was Walmart. Yeah, I bought groceries but I also said hello to the spirits of the children who died in the Great Storm of 1900. The store is built on the site of the orphanage where the children lived. You can read about the Nuns using clothesline in hopes of saving the kids and how strings of Nuns and kids were found for days after the storm because they became snagged on fences and other objects. Stories are told of toys mysteriously being found in the middle of the toy aisle and children laughing when none are around. You can read my old post here>>>>https://gozatravels.blogspot.com/2023/04/galveston-old-storm-orphanage.html

I guess the best way to document the stay will be by captioned pictures.

In the years to come, whenever I look back on this picture my memory will immediately relive the wet and windy chill of that day. 

 
The view out my back window overlooking the bay.


One descent sunset in the four nights here. 

Just like my campsite at my base camp in Mansfield, I can see the sunset through from my door.

A nice statue representing the lives lost in the Great Hurricane of 1900. 

I took the ferry back to the Bolivar Peninsula because it is the best place to drive on the beach. There were a few RV's camped on the edge.

The temperatures had improved, but with heavy overcast skys. 

The ships in the background are waiting to enter the Houston Ship Channel

I can see these houses from my campsite. It is a reminder how some others live their lives. 


Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe, I'll Cya down the road. 

4 comments:

  1. That area where you were camped was an excellent kayak/wade fishing area fifty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, it still is because they are renting kayaks near the campground.

      Delete
  2. I stayed on Galveston island for a couple of nights some years ago (March of 2014), I liked it and would have stayed longer but there was no more room in the campground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely one of my "peaceful places". I always get good vibes here. I hope all is well with you and yours.

      Delete