Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Running from Weather and Demons

 Location: Heart of Haynesville RV Park; Mansfield, Louisiana

I've been following the weather closely because my new RV is not as freezing weather friendly as my old RV. I've been through enough cold weather to have a clear understanding what Liberty can handle. She is fine if the temperature drops into the low 20's but only if the daytime temperature before and after is above freezing. The weather forecast I saw this morning indicates about 50 to 60 hours of below freezing temperatures next week with the lowest predicted to be 12. With that kind of forecast, I have two choices. I could winterize Liberty by draining her water, blowing out the lines, and adding antifreeze, but that is a pain in the behind. Plus after the weather passes, you have to reverse the process. 

The second choice is better. Since I don't have any doctor appointments or grandkid events during this cold weather period, I thought maybe I would just head south for a week to let the cold weather pass. One of the places I thought of was Galveston Island which is about 5 to 6 hours from here. I checked the forecast for the island and although the freezing weather will make it to Galveston, it will only be for one night with 40 degrees before and after. After getting the OK from Accuweather and the National Weather Service, I checked for campsite availability at Galveston Island State Park. Bingo, one vacancy in the Bayside section. I took that as a good sign for me to go, so I jumped on the reservation page and booked it. 

Galveston Island State Park has two sections. One is called Beachside because it is within easy walking distance of the beach and the other section is called the Bayside since it is near West Bay which is the bay between the island and the mainland. The campsites in the Bayside are smaller and closer to together but I'm fine with both of those things. It will be my first time to stay at Bayside. 

After waiting out the weather for four days at Galveston, I decided to split the return trip in half and stay 3 days at Rayburn Park on Lake Sam Rayburn. I've stayed at other Corps of Engineers campgrounds on this lake and they are pretty good, but this campground seems to the the best of the bunch. I've reserved a shoreline site with what appears to be a great view. It is a little isolated, but I'll be fine with that. The total trip will be seven days beginning on the 14th and ending on the 21th.  

So, the one week trip to avoid the weather will also allow me some emotional healing time as well. Some 20 year old, unresolved emotional issues have surprisingly re-surfaced with a vengeance and have been kicking my butt since I've been back. Seven days of traveling and staying in new-to-me campgrounds should help. Heck, it can't hurt. Hopefully, I'll find a way to put those demons in their place to where they quit bothering me.

Got to have at least one picture per blog post. This is the sunset from New Year's Eve. The last sunset of 2023. I'm standing in the door of Liberty while taking the picture. My campsite has a nice view for sunsets.

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe, I'll Cya down the road.  

4 comments:

  1. Those old demons can be very difficult to handle I have found. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on your trip and on getting the upper hand on those demons. We all have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we do Shawn. But as usual, they will be "manageable".

    ReplyDelete