Friday, January 19, 2024

Great COE Campground

Location: Rayburn Park COE Campground; Pineland, Texas

I left Galveston in the late morning while there was still a nip in the air and heavy fog. By the time I finished hitching up, the fog had burned off but the sky was still overcast. Looking at the Gulf of Mexico on the drive down Bolivar Peninsula showed her to be in a somewhat angry mood. As usual, when I turned north at High Island, I was sad to see the Gulf fade away in my side mirror.

Anyone who's taken the Bolviar Ferry recognizes this place as Seawolf Park. You can explore a Naval Museum and Navy ships there. 

I liked the flag flying with Galveston in the background.

This is what is left of Rollover Pass on the Bolivar Peninsula. The pass used to connect the Gulf of Mexico with the bay. It was constructed back in 1955 to improve fishing, etc. It was filled in a year or so ago because the plan didn't work. My father used to talk about fishing "the pass". 

The Gulf was a little angry as I was leaving. Hey, maybe it was mad because I was leaving. :)

The tow was to be a little over 4 hours with a stop at Walmart and a gas station. The Walmart stop was not only to stretch my legs and use the restroom, but to get some groceries. The campground I was headed to and am now staying is kind of isolated so I needed enough food to last the 4 days of my stay. I don't plan to do much exploring due to the cool weather and lack of anything that really caught my eye. 

The campsite is everything I was hoping it to be with a great view of the lake. When I arrived, there were only two other campers here with a fourth one that showed up today. I've mainly been kicking back, relaxing, walking around the campground and visiting with the neighbors. I sure like being in campgrounds like this during the off-season compared to the middle of the summer. It is some much more relaxing. I got a text from my cousin that lives in Silsbee and he is familiar with this area and mentioned a decent cafe only about 5 miles from here. I'm thinking about trying their lunch tomorrow. I don't know though, I surprised myself today and made a pretty good shrimp gumbo but a greasy cheeseburger from a small cafe may be just the ticket.

The campsite in the early evening of day one. It is like it was in Galveston, the cool weather and overcast just adds to excitement. 
The overcast cleared enough for a nice sunset on Day 1.


This is not a thinking bench but it sure was a "thinking picnic table" for me today. It is the turn-around point for my walk in the campground. Very good. 

The view out my back window while I'm sitting at my computer desk.

The streetlight is almost on, time to head back to Liberty.

Sunset day 2

The sunset afterglow of Day 2. 
'Night ya'll 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome Barney, stay warm over there.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful shots of the sun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great campground for sunrises and sunsets.

      Delete