Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Random Thoughts on a Stormy Day

Location: The Narrows Campground (COE); Glasgow, Kentucky

I moved about 25 miles north to another COE campground on the same lake, Barren River Lake. Fortunately, the bad juju didn't follow me to this campground so I didn't need any assistance from Marie LaVeau. 

The water spigots are similar to the last campground by being jointly used with neighboring campsites.Two 25 foot hoses just reached my fresh water fill spout. I'm still using my fresh water tank and pump instead of connecting to city water. Some people think it is strange, and maybe it is, but I've been doing it for years while traveling. My reasons are, 1) the pump gives me consistent pressure compared to the varying pressures of city water systems at different campgrounds, 2) I don't have to use my water pressure regulator, 3) with a flip of my pump switch inside Liberty2 and a quick opening of a faucet, I can relieve the pressure in my whole water system. With city water, your water system is always pressurized until you turn it off at the outside faucet, so if a leak occurs while you are gone or if it's a slow leak, you won't know it for a while. With the pump, if it comes on without opening a faucet, you have a leak or a pump going out that is losing head pressure. 4) I can treat my water with Clorox as I'm putting it in my tank. I used to use an old diner style ketchup bottle, but now-a-days, I just pour it in my hose before filling my tank. Only on very rare occasions do I ever smell the Clorox. 5) I'm always using my fresh water tank which keeps the water "turned over" all the time. If I used city water sometimes and water tank other times, I would be concerned things may start growing in my fresh water tank between usage times, especially with these hot summer days. 

I ran into some new friends at the last campground. We had met earlier in the year when we were both staying at Mustang Island, near Corpus Christi, Texas. Their RV is also an Rpod and they are from just up the road a bit. Steve and Lisa Akin, it was good seeing ya'll again. Safe travels. 

I dropped a medical prescription off at the Walmart in Bowling Green on Monday and will pick it up this Friday. They texted me that it was ready about an hour after I left the store. Many people give Walmart a lot of grief about things but I like them a lot. I can get my prescriptions filled at their pharmacy, except when I'm in New York or North Dakota. You can get it filled in New York but a stupid state law forces them to "zero out" any refills. There aren't any Walmart pharmacies in North Dakota because of another stupid state law. This North Dakota saw says the pharmacist has to be a majority owner in the pharmacy and since that can't happen at Walmart, no pharmacy section in their stores. Mostly just mom and pop pharmacies which I would trust to transfer my script from an out of state Walmart. Walmart will also give me cash back, if I need it, which save me having to go to a bank or ATM. Their grocery and departments are usually well stock and have most everything I need. As I'm said before, once you're inside a Walmart, you can't tell what state you're in since they all look the same. But after visiting so many of them, I know they have at least two types of layout in the stores, either left-hand or right-hand. 

Speaking of stupidity, my next campground is in southern Indiana. To get there, I obviously have to cross the Ohio River. I'll be making the crossing at Louisville, Kentucky. There are three bridges in Louisville that cross the river and each of them are toll bridges. Towing an RV across will cost about $8.00 one way. If I don't want to pay the toll, there is a free crossing about 20 miles or so down river. The $8.00 would buy a little more than 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline. That 2 1/2 gallons would get be about 20 miles down the road. So it is cheaper to pay the toll. Heck, I won't even be paying toll for months since they will be taking a picture of my license plate and sending me the toll bill in the mail. I will surly look for it when I get back to Louisiana in a few months. I'm not sure if I will be paying to leave Kentucky or to enter Indiana, but whichever, it better be a smooth riding bridge since I'll be paying a toll as well as gasoline taxes at the pump. 

The worst of the storms passed to the south of me this morning. They were bad enough for me to change my plans about going to Mammoth Cave today. I rescheduled that exploration until tomorrow. I've been lucky on this trip and missed a lot of the major storms that have come close to me. It's a been a strange weather pattern this summer. I'm guessing that means it will be a cold winter. 

I have made reservation at campgrounds thru September 21th which gets me to a campground on the Gulf Coast of Florida that has been on my "to stay" list for many years. Liberty was too long at 30 feet to get into most of the campsites but Liberty2 fits in them just right. The campground is very strict about not parking on the sand or grass. I'm looking forward to the stay.

The last campground and this one has a 5:00 pm check-in time. To me, that is way to late. I used to think 3:00 pm was late. The rationale is so RV'ers with boats can spend the day on the lake before have to check-out at 4:30. It doesn't work too good for travelers though, especially with me starting to like the 100 mile towing distances. I just checked my next campground and they have a check-in time of 2:00 pm but only for Monday thru Saturday. I arrive on Sunday which has a 5:00 check in time, oh great. I've been lucky at the last campground and this one that the previous campers did not stay late in the afternoon. I was able to arrive and set up by 3:00 pm. 

I found this metal chicken on my picnic table at the last campground. It had directions to put your name, date and campsite number on it and pass it on to another camper. I ain't gonna sneak into someone else's campsite to put this on their table so I dropped it off at the office on my way out.

I found this rock at my last campsite. Someone painted and put the words "Be Kind" on it. It was nice and made me smile. I've know a couple of people who have done this before. I like it.


My campsite at The Narrows. So far, no bad Juju.

The view out my back window. The red building is the bathroom/showers. I've only showered in one in all the campgrounds I've stayed. 

A picture of the lake. That is only a very small part of the marina on the left. 

I guess this is enough random thoughts. It started sounding more like belly aching. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road. 

4 comments:

  1. We might do the Mammoth Cave thing this fall. Did you see the Corvette Museum? Thanks for sharing your information. Keep-’em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No to the Corvette museum, too many bad memories of them. Mammoth Cave is worth a stop.

      Delete
  2. I liked Mammoth Cave.

    Walmarts... a lot of the stores are the same but different. The bathroom at the front of the store is a good example, I go into six of them and the "Mens room" is on the left but in that seventh Walmart it's on the right... I have to pay attention! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the cave too, even with the many steps and stairs. I've started using Walmarts for rest stops on moving day.

      Delete