Monday, July 10, 2023

Last of TVA & Tail of the Dragon

 Location: Yarberry Campground (TVA); Lenoir City, Tennessee

This is the last stop on my exploration tour of the Tennessee Valley Authority. I've seen many hydroelectric dams and lots and lots of pretty lakes. It sure seems to me the TVA was a great success that started 90 years ago. The current and future Washington D.C. politicians should look back on successful programs like the TVA and CCC for guidance on what works and what doesn't. My only complaint is the TVA contracted out the management of their campgrounds. In doing so, they allowed the concessionaire, Vista Recreation, to increase the cost of the campsites and does not give the America the Beautiful Senior pass discounts. Comparing them to Corps of Engineer campgrounds, they are 3 to 4 times more expensive with only a minimal increase in amenities. I bit the bullet on the ones I stayed at knowing they were more expensive, but liked the look and location of the campground. But, it's safe to say, I'll probably never stay at another one.

I rode the Tail of the Dragon road yesterday. Its official route number is US 129. It is an 11 mile stretch of road with 318 curves basically following the Little Tennessee River as it heads up into the Smoky Mountains towards North Carolina. I went to see some of the dams that had been built to make electricity and store water before releasing it to the main Tennessee River. But about a hundred people were there for other reasons. The road is a magnet to motorcycles and Fast and Furious type cars. Apparently, it is a destination spot for the people into those sports. So much so, that there were about a dozen people, at strategic curves, to take pictures of people and their vehicles as they approached and departed the curve. All of them took my picture too. I definitely picked the wrong day to ride the road since it was a Sunday and was full of joy riders. I should have waited until today, Monday. It is a little nerve racking to approach a KYA (kiss your a$$) curve on a narrow mountain road and have a half dozen motorcycles and/or sports cars come flying around the curve towards you. Don't expect too many pictures from me on that road, it was just too dangerous to try to take many pictures while driving it. If I'm back in this area, I'll ride it again, but on a weekday when it should be less traffic. 

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be leaving the Tennessee Valley and head west towards Nashville. I'll be camping in a Corp of Engineers Campground without any city of size nearby. Reviews say I should have cell service which means I can connect to the internet to post to the blog. But, I'll only be there for 4 days, so we will see. 

Some pictures:

This little dam prevents the Little Tennessee River from entering the Tennessee River downstream of the Fort Loudon Dam. Small, but important.

Typical road leading to the mountains

That's the mountains in the distance. Tree tunnel, yuck.

There are a series of dams along the Little Tennessee River that in turn creates a series of lakes. 

Some of the dams are inaccessible to the public but this one is right next to the highway. It is Chilhowee Hydro Dam

This is the lake created by the dam. I'm standing on the end of the dam. Big difference between the two pictures taken within 30 feet of each other.

The road runs roughly parallel to the river/lakes.

The TVA has done a good job at creating picnic spots, fishing docks and boat ramps to their lakes.

A fishing platform. While standing there, I could see dozens of fish in the water because it was so clear. Some were pretty large.

One of the many pull-offs to rest the soul with a peaceful view.

Another peaceful view

The warning sign at the beginning of the Tail of the Dragon run.

The only picture that came out on the run. Yeah, yeah, it's at the very beginning before the curves start,

A random picture out the side window while driving. Hey, I'm not texting, so it must be legal.

This is one of those inaccessible dams. It is Calderwood Dam and about 200+ feet high. That also means the depth of the water at the dam. 

This is how tight the security is at this campground. It has a working gate that opens and closes in slow motion, but the gate code is on the key pad. 
Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe, I'll Cya down the road. 

1 comment: