Sunday, July 9, 2023

Moving Day, Hitch-up & Pictures

 Location: Yarberry Campground (TVA); Lenoir City, Tennessee

Yesterday was moving day with a short tow of 85 miles. I had been worried about hitching up on the bad slope of the campsite at Harrison Bay. Of course, I had an audience for the event. A large Class A motorhome had pulled into the campsite next to mine the day before. There were six adults sitting around their picnic table eating when I started the hitching process by raising my stabilizing jacks. But, before I started actually hitching Freedom to Liberty2, they had moved to more comfortable camping chairs for the "hill hitching show". You would have thought I was selling tickets. They were all quiet, at first, and very respectful of the unspoken camping rule "don't help a camper setting up or breaking down their camp unless you're asked". The purpose of that rule is that most campers have a set routine they use to set-up/break-down their camp and any interruption in that routine can cause problems. Some people use a check list like an airplane pilot while others just wing it. I used a check list for the first 2 or 3 times nine years ago but gave that up quickly. One of these days, as my memory starts to fade more, I will have to start back using one. The sad thing about that is that something will happen that will prompt me to start using one again. Hopefully no one is hurt and there is minimal property damage during that prompting. Yeah, yeah, I remember I drove off with my X-chocks still attached that one time, but I don't count that as a memory lapse because, well, you see, there was this really good looking woman in the next campground and you really don't have to be verbal to break the rule,,,,,,, oh nevermind. 

Anyway, my main concern was backing up to Liberty2 going up the hill without hitting her so hard as to knock her off her jack. Usually, on relatively flat ground, Freedom will inch back at an idle. But, on this hill, Freedom has a safety feature called "hill-assist" that will keep her stationary when in gear on a hill. To disengage the "hill-assist" you have to give her some gas. Of course the more gas you give her, the faster she takes off. I started backing up about 20 feet from Liberty2 and experimented with disengaging the hill assist. Sure enough, when I gave enough gas to disengage, Freedom would move about 3 to 4 inches before I could put on the brake. A game of inches, uh? Since I hitch up solo, I use the GOAL method. GOAL stands for "Get Out And Look". I will back up a little then get out to check distance and alignment. On flat ground, I get out maybe 3 or 4 times before getting the tow ball under the hitch. On this Mount Everest campsite, I had gotten out maybe 6 times already and was still about 6 inches away. Doing some quick math, I figured if I moved 4 inches in the next step, that would leave me 2 inches to go. I wasn't sure if just 2 inches was possible. Hummm,,,,, I put Freedom in reverse and then it happened, I heard, "Come on back, you're good, come on back". The guy just flat out broke the rule. I semi-politely explained to him, that I preferred doing it myself since I was used to it this way (or something along those lines). That is when I learned something new about "hill-assist". When in gear on a hill, hill-assist disengages after you accelerate OR 3 seconds, whichever comes first. That 3 seconds begins when you put it in gear with your foot on the brake. It is to give you enough time to move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal before the truck rolls a little. So, I had Freedom in gear, my foot on the brake when the guy broke the rule. It took me longer than 3 seconds to decline his assistance. When I took my foot off the brake, Freedom rolled downhill, away from Liberty2, about 2 to 3 inches before I could put my foot back on the brake. I got out to look and danged if I wasn't about 8 inches from hitching up which would work great for two 4 inch movements. It worked out good and I was able to hitch up without backing into Liberty2. So, after hitching up, I apologized to the man if I had been impolite but what I was really saying was thanks for moving Freedom those 2 inches downhill. Someone upstairs was helping me, as usual. One of these days, I'll find out who. I like to think it is a whole group that has crossed over and they take turns helping me out.

Wow, that was long winded for just hitching up. The rest of this post will just be some pictures. After I make this post, today's exploration will be to follow the Little Tennessee River into the mountains as far as I can before turning around. 

This is part of Harrison Bay just off the Tennessee River

A swinging bench to rest your bones and sooth your soul

I had seen things like this online that looked to have been photo-shopped but this one is real. I saw it in person. It seems like a really good idea if you can lift it off and on easily. If not, it's still a good idea for a prefabricated house boat.

I haven't been taking enough road pictures on this trip. I know people have told me before that they like them so they can see the varying scenery along the way. I'll try to do better in the future.

The campsite here at Yarberry. There are a few tents behind me and near the water. They are leaving this morning after getting rained on last night with a passing storm. 



This is the downstream side of Fort Loudon Hydro Dam. From left to right, powerhouse, gates and locks. Yarberry is just a few mile upstream.

This is the upstream side of the same dam. You can see the dramatic difference in the water level on the dam. The piece of concrete going away from the dam in the middle left is the guide rail into the locks. It is there to prevent tugs and barges from going over the dam. From this view point you can see how easy that would be if the guide rail wasn't there. The water in the distance is the Little Tennessee River that joins the Tennessee River at this dam. I'll be following that river upstream on today's exploration.

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe, I'll Cya down the road.  

4 comments:

  1. I have a check list on the drivers visor on the RV, something to look at, a quick review just before I put it in gear, just a few things... Is the antenna down? The electricity unplugged? The shower door secured? The main door locked?
    I like the water in the background in the Yarberry campsite picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a formal checklist but I do have a things to help me remember things,,,, for now at least.

      Delete
  2. When I got this truck with the rear view camera my hitching got a lot easier. Then I painted the coupler ball area white and it got easier. Hill hitchups are always a PITA. You did well in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My backup camera is only working now and then. A bad connection somewhere, but I haven't tracked it down yet.

      Delete