Sunday, July 30, 2023

Creation Museum & Concrete Stonehenge

 Location: Versailles State Park; Versailles, Indiana (about 45 minutes west of Cincinnati, Ohio)

After a short two hour tow, I'm at another Indiana State Park. These short tows were originally used to kill time until the RV Rally date of August 13th but I'm beginning to like them and may keep them as a regular thing.  

My campsite. Plenty of afternoon/evening shade. Electric only. Don't forget to fill your fresh water tank before setting up camp.



The view out my back window from my computer desk. That road leads to another part of the campground and was very busy yesterday with bicycles being ridden by kids and adults. It was interesting to see the little ones trying to keep up with the older kids. Good view.

As has been my usual plan over the years of my travelling, I'll find 1 or 2 main things to see or do in an area, then move on down the road. The two things to see here are the Creation Museum, which is actually back in Kentucky. A while back I had thought it was located very near the Ark Encounter which is a little deeper in Kentucky. But, I was wrong. It seems this wrongness is becoming a pattern. Just the other day, I thought I was in Central Time when I was actually in Eastern Time. My cell phone broke the truth to me since she almost always knows where she is located. Anyway, the Creation Museum is only about 40 minutes away from this campground. So, I headed there on Friday, thinking I would beat the rush of people since it was a weekday. Wrong again. Geez, not again. Since school isn't in session around here, weekdays are similar to weekends. The museum is a little expensive and more commercialized than I expected but was still a good visit. There is so much information to read and see that you can't do it in just one day, especially with so many people moving around while you're trying to read and see a display/exhibit. They have a great 30 minute long, 4-D video that is really good. If you miss something in your visit, don't miss this. All in all, even with the expense and crowd, it was worth the trip and I would definitely return but when school is in session during the school week.

I arrived within 30 minutes after they opened on a Friday morning. There were already hundreds of people there. I can only assume they got there an hour or more before the place opened. Wow.

They have lots of displays like this to attract attention.

More displays

This is just one of the many "compare and contrast" displays between evolution and creation.


I've mentioned my dis-belief about the Colorado River carving the Grand Canyon before. This was one display showing my questions and curiosity is not too "far out" there. 

The other thing to see around here is much smaller than the museum. It's also free and I was the only one visiting it. It is called Paul-henge. It was created by Paul Morris as a recreation of Stonehenge. It is made out of concrete slabs with viewing holes cast into the slabs. It tracks several of the astronomical alignments such as solstices and equinoxes just to name a couple. This is what you get when you have an engineer/architect with too much time on their hands. If you go see it, there isn't any parking and there is supposedly a sign saying "by permission only", but I didn't see the sign. I boldly entered slipped in and out within about 15 minutes and didn't see any other visitors or the owner. Stealth visiting?? Anyway, it was a good stop and interesting to see. For anyone living close by, it would be nice to see all of the other alignments he has calculated for in his slab positions.



This isn't part of the henge. It is somewhat of a sign out near the road. By the way, the dog isn't real.


This picture captures the entire henge. 

This is a little what it would be like to see one of the alignments. You line up two holes and when you see the sun, moon or star in the hole, then that is a calculated alignment. Pretty neat, uh?

I didn't hang around long enough to figure out the purpose for the half circles. Maybe if that "permission only" thing hadn't been bouncing around in my head, I could have stayed longer.

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be headed farther north to another Indiana State Park. This one will be within 45 minutes of Indianapolis so if I need anything from a big city, I be close enough for 4 days. Also, as a point of reference, Indiana State Parks are twice the cost of COE campgrounds but since Indiana doesn't have any COE's, they are the next best thing.   

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe, I'll Cya down the road. 

4 comments:

  1. That's a neat Stonehenge, I'll put it on my list. I've visited the full sized replica in Washington state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put the Washington one on my list. Thanks. Are y'all getting back on the road soon?

      Delete