Saturday, January 11, 2020

Trip Begins Tomorrow

Location: New Rockdale RV Park; Mansfield, LA

This will be a short post and will serve as a starting point for a short trip that will last a couple of months. 

Some pretty serious storms passed through the area last night. The line of storms stretched from southern Texas all the way north to Chicago. The cold front that contributed to the storms are bringing cooler temperatures. After a week or more of 60+days/40+nights, the temperature tonight is due to drop into the lower 30's. That low temperature is fine with me normally, but I'll be hitching up in it tomorrow morning and would appreciate a little bit warmer temp. 

After weeks of going back and forth as to which direction to travel, I finally made up my mind between going to the Gulf Coast first or second. The deciding factor was the nightly temperatures in central Texas. I do NOT want to camp with a "blue northerner" passing through the campground. Lucky for me, there are only a few nights during the next three weeks with nightly temperatures below freezing and those nights are just barely below (upper 20's). The daily highs will average in the 60's. So it seems like a nice time to see central Texas again while working my way to the Gulf coast in a few weeks. 

There are a lot of Corps of Engineers (COE) campgrounds between Dallas and San Antonio. COE campgrounds are at the top of my list when searching for campgrounds. They are usually well designed, no extra frills and cheap with my senior pass. In fact the first one I'll be camping at is only $8.00/night for a lake view with water/electricity and still close to a city (sometimes with a Taco Bell).

I've picked 5 COE campgrounds as my first 5 stops. I'll be camping for 3 to 4 nights per campground. It will be like old times when I was traveling quickly. There is only about 250 miles between the first and fifth campground, so there won't be any long tows on this part of the trip. I haven't researched enough of the areas to know what to see and do but I hope to get some ideas when I stop at the Texas Welcome Center on I-20 tomorrow morning.

Well, I have a few more things to do before leaving, so I'll sign off for now. The next post should be from a nice lake view campground. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.    


8 comments:

  1. It will be good to read about your travel adventures again, I'm a firm believer in the challenges of being on the road helping keep a person young, which of course doesn't explain why I'm 73 years old and wake up every morning feeling like 83, but I believe it nonetheless.

    Have a safe trip, and keep us all well-informed.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. Be safe out there in Arizona. I stayed at that Fair Grounds Campground you're at. I liked it too.

      Delete
  2. Rolling, rolling, rolling
    Keep them wheels rolling.

    I will be rolling by the 21st at the latest. Going SW from Rockport. Don't want to get in the cold temps of N. Tex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barney. I'm good with the temps for the next few weeks between Dallas and San Antoin. But I'm sure I'll be glad to see Mustang Island on the 31st. Be safe when you hit the road, there seems to be more and more crazies out there.

      Delete
  3. Have a fun fun trip---I look forward to your visit to Tennessee Dams, Watauga Dam and Lake in particular-- a portion of my grandmothers property was taken to make room for this dam/lake.I am taking a little trip myself --Washington State --Take care and be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I'm still looking at my spring/summer trip and Tennessee is in the way of most things to the east. I'm glad you hear you're traveling. Be safe out there and enjoy the freedom of the road.

      Delete
  4. PS 78 degrees here in Tennessee today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Tennessee entices a person with 78 degrees on one day and then when you get there, it drops to below freezing with tons of snow. LOL

      Delete