Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Time to Head Towards the Gulf

Location: Potter's Creek Campground (Corps of Engineers); Canyon Lake, Texas

Still at stop #5
This will be the last COE campground for a while. Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be headed towards the Gulf of Mexico. After a two day stop in Goliad State Park, I'll be spending a week on Mustang Island just outside of Corpus Christi.

These four days on Canyon Lake have been pretty good. Yesterday I took another drive to see something that has been on my to-see list for a little while. It is Jacob's Well. It is basically an artesian well in the middle of a creek. It is an entrance to some underground caves filled with water. The well has been in use for a long time with times of slow and fast flow. It is definitely not a destination point but if you're in the area, it is worth a look-see.
Don't think of Hansel and Gretel when walking the path to Jacob's Well

Maybe, it would be better if there were some people around.

The darker blue hole on the right side of the creek is Jacob's Well.

A little bit better view. I got down on the concrete weir but the sun was reflecting off the water too bright for a good up close picture.
On the way back to the campground, I stopped at the dam to see what it looked like from the top. It is a pretty dam and lake. I really liked the benches under the sprawling tree with the view out to the lake.
Nice view from the top of the dam. You can walk the entire width of the dam if want,,,, I didn't want.

A great view from some "thinking benches". I sat and thought for a little while but nothing major was decided. Maybe the Gulf coast will answer all of my questions.
 Oh well, time to move on tomorrow, so I need to get a few things taken care of before going to bed.

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.







7 comments:

  1. Jacobs Well used to be used for skindiving fun. But some changes were made about that when some divers died in the well. I think that was in the 1960s. I have never been there. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been about thirty years since I last saw what I am about to tell you about. The Goliad folks did not advertise it in the past. When you come out of the rear of the mission and head to 45 degrees right. Cross the stone wall and keep going right. Somewhere in that area was the area they make bricks and did other types of work for building the Mission. I found it pretty neat when I last saw it a few decades ago. There are many other mission ruins and old military forts that are fun to see in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barney. This is my second visit to Goliad. It is located nicely to break up a trip to Mustang Island. Be safe out west.

      Delete
  3. I was born in Dallas, Texas, lived in Texas all my life and never heard of Jacob's Well until you wrote about it in today's post. Thank you for educating me on the another wonder of my state (and we do like to fly our flags, U.S. and Texas) V. in Mesquite, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello V. You're welcome for any information I can provide. Texas is so large, there are so many different things to see and do. And I really like both flags waving everywhere. Hope things are going your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to Port Aransas on Mustang Island. Find The Gaff bar, I forget the name of the street. On Saturdays, at least some of them, they have belt sander races out back. They also make some of the best pizza I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful area! Jacob's Well is beautiful but I'd sure hate to fall in! The dam and the water is just beautiful! Gotta get back to Texas one day!

    ReplyDelete