Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Last Day at Falcon State Park

Location: Falcon State Park; Falcon Heights, Texas

(click picture to enlarge)

I got a nice surprise this morning as I was walking by my small window. The window is located at the junction of the bathroom, bedroom and top of the stairs. Ever since I moved into Liberty, I glance out that window every time I pass by it. But it was only recently, back when I was in Choke Canyon State Park, that I realized the screen slid open, just like the window. That allowed me to point the camera out the window and get some good shots without having to shoot through glass or screen. That is where I took the picture of the Crested Caracara and the javelinas. This morning, it was the sunrise. 

This is what I saw out the window right at sunrise.

Same vantage point, just an hour later (after coffee).

I emptied my waste tanks today and took on enough fresh water to last me until I get to the next campground. Without any extraordinary conservation efforts, my tanks lasted 9 days before emptying. Moving as fast as I have in the past, I never needed to know that information. However, since I plan to do a little boondocking (staying in places without services at the campsite), I need to know how long I could go without having to hitch up and move. From what I have figured out, there are three controlling factors when boondocking, not counting any camping time restrictions like a 14 day limit in some National Parks. The three factors that I'm concerned with are power, waste tank capacity and fresh water capacity. I now know that I can easily go 7 to 9 days without having to empty my waste tanks. Fresh water is not a problem, because once I use up all the fresh water in the tank, I can replenish it without having to hitch and move by using the 2 1/2 gallon collapsible water jugs that bought at Thanksgiving. There are several options for power when not connected to an electrical service point. They are solar panels, generator(s) and batteries. I don't think I'll be doing enough boondocking to warrant getting solar panels and I don't want the extra weight and trouble of a generator with the gas can that is needed. With that in mind, I'll be replacing the one battery that came in Liberty with two larger batteries. I'll be getting them in El Paso as I pass through there on my way west. I am shooting for enough power to last 4 to 5 days. If two batteries won't give me that time, then I'll get a third one. After boondocking for 4 or 5 days, I'll hitch up and move to a regular campground with electricity so as to charge up the batteries for the next time I boondock. I don't know how often I'll boondock, but I will have the option to do it. It will be a learning curve, but a fun learning curve. And the beauty of it all is if it doesn't work out, I just hitch up and go somewhere else, just like that,,,,,Freedom and Liberty. 

Taking a break after emptying the waste tanks, adding some fresh water, lubricating the big slide and stabilizing jacks. I was sitting at the picnic table on a pretty day drinking a bottle of water and looking at Freedom and Liberty, knowing that tomorrow will be filled with new surroundings that I haven't seen before. It's a heck of a lifestyle I've chosen. I hope it lasts a while.   

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be heading north to a state park near Laredo, Texas. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

1 comment: