Thursday, May 8, 2014

Travel Day (Shawboro, NC to Appomattox, VA)

Today's travel was a 200 miles haul on mostly good roads. There were a few of those darn damn composite roadways with bad joints. It seems every state suffers from them although North Carolina, by far, has had the best roads so far. There was even a brand new Concrete Pavement road today that was rough as a cob. Congress should outlaw all Concrete Pavement. It is usually rough, compared to asphalt, when it is newly built and it only gets rougher as it ages. Nothing much to report as it was an uneventful drive. Elise did a very good job today and guided me right here (I still made handwritten notes). The temperature got up to 86 degrees today with a high humidity. I need to head north to get back closer to 72 degrees.

I'm camped in Appomattox, Virginia in a nice campground with all pull-thru sites. I'll be here through Saturday and will head north from here on Sunday morning. Some of the things I hope to see around here are the National D-Day Memorial, The Museum of the Confederacy and Appomattox Courthouse where Lee surrendered to Grant thus ending The War for Southern Independence. From here, I'll make one more stop before getting to the Washington D.C. area. I'm still not sure which side of D.C. I'll stay on. The campground will need to be close to a Metro station so I can ride the train into the city. Surprisingly, there isn't a very wide selection of campgrounds.

It will be four weeks ago tomorrow since I hit the road. A few interesting stats:
2,817 miles traveled (1,435 towing and 1,382 sight-seeing)
271 gallons of gas (includes the 30 in Freedom right now)
10.4 miles per gallon (average)
10 different campgrounds
6 different states (excluding GA since I didn't camp there)

The 2,817 miles is about 1,000 or so more than I planned to travel in a month. I need to either stay longer in a place, which I'm not thrilled about, or reduce the distance between campground to about 100 miles instead of the 150 mile average so far. I think I'll start looking at Sundays and Thursdays as travel days. There won't be any more of that dead-heading I did from Cherokee to Shawboro. The approximate 50/50 split between towing and sight-seeing is about right.

More to report tomorrow after some exploring.

Ya'll take care of each other. Cya.

No comments:

Post a Comment