Tuesday, June 20, 2023

A top 5 COE campground

 Persimmon Hill Campground; Enid Lake, Mississippi

Today is day 2 of 2 here at this great COE campground and tomorrow is moving day. The next several campgrounds are four day long stays because these 2 day stays, while good at getting me back to my original route, are a bit tiring. I didn't plan to explore much at this campground, but I was able to drive to the Batesville Indian Mounds which are about 10 miles north of here. I didn't do the hiking trail around the mounds and was satisfied with what I could see from Freedom. These were small mounds compared to some other places I've been. I'm still not convinced the "experts" know what they are talking about when they explain how and who built all of the mounds scattered around the country. It is hard for me to believe that people who were struggling to find enough food to survive would also find the time to haul dirt to build a mound. Oh well, it wasn't a great exploration, but I'm OK with it. 

This COE complex on Enid Lake is one of the best maintained areas I've been been to in a very long time. There are several campgrounds around the lake and the one I'm staying as has full hook ups. I missed that when I was making my reservation. I won't be emptying my tanks here because the sites are close enough together that I don't want to disturb my neighbors. I'll use the dump station at my next campground. During this Monday and Tuesday stay, it is probably about 75% full. I'm glad I stopped here and will be back if I'm passing through this area.

The rest of this post will be pictures and captions. 

My campsite with the lake and dam out my back window. The sun sets to the left. The first night was just a reddish sky sunset and I'm hoping the one tonight will be better. 

The view out my back window, which I need to clean.




This is the view from the Mississippi Welcome Center. The bridge on the left is the four lanes of I-20 and the bridge on the right is the railroad bridge ( I'm guessing the railroad cars was a dead give away). If you look close, you can see a nice US Flag proudly flying over the railroad bridge. I was hoping to get some tourist pamphlets but the place was closed while observing Juneteenth.

This is a typical section of interstate across North Louisiana and Mississippi. I'm not fond of it and call it a tree tunnel.



One of several boat ramps around the lake.

My favorite thing in the campground and other parts of this complex is the "swinging thinking-bench". I sat and "swang" in all of them but one. The next few pictures are of other swings around here. I just had to post them. 

"Swinging thinking-bench" #2

Swinging thinking-bench #3. That is the COE office in the background with the flag flying. 



Still Swinging thinking-bench #3. Freedom wanted in the picture. 



This is an indicator of what makes this campground special. The little flower bed is maintained by the campground host and the pride just shows and shines. It's the little things like this that count. 

OK, OK, this is the last swinging bench. I didn't sit in this because I only discovered it this evening while I was walking off some sauteed shrimp I made from supper. It is a great view of the lake and shows it size.

This is also from tonight walk. I'm taking the picture while standing in an empty campsite. It sure was a nice evening.

The sun just went down and it was a below average sunset. Oh well, there's always tomorrow and tomorrow I'll be camped along the Tennessee River. I'm looking forward to that.

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road. 

4 comments:

  1. Yep I am here in Decatur Al near the Tennessee river at Point Mallard Campground for a couple more months. I call it Grandkid Land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cities & towns will build a wall around themselves because they have to no matter the cost, it's needed for survival. It seems to me that temples, mounds and statutes will generally wait until there is enough "extra" to afford the cost and not endanger what you have going.

    I find "tree tunnels" everywhere, I like the green but I really like to see what the country looks like as I pass thru it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are mounds everywhere in North America. The Government through the Smithsonian investigated most of them back in the 1800's then ignored them. I agree about the tree tunnels being everywhere, mostly in the east.

      Delete