Thursday, August 12, 2021

Travel Pics from South Dakota

 Location: Left Tailrace Corps of Engineers Campground on the Missouri River at Big Bend Dam near Fort Thompson, South Dakota.

I've received some requests from readers saying I'm not posting as many travel pictures have I have in the past. Travel pictures are taken while traveling in Freedom, with or without, Liberty attached. They show the landscape of the area we are passing through. I like them too. When looking back on some of the travel pictures from years ago, I can still bring up the feelings I had when taking the picture. Some readers have commented that it is like they are "along for the ride". I used a phrase in a post many years ago that struck a chord in a fellow blogger and solo traveler, Malia Lane, may she rest in peace. I'm reminded of that phrase sometimes as I'm traveling down the road and seeing new places. That phrase was, ",,,,,,or the peaceful drive along empty highways with the smell of freedom hanging heavy in the air."

I used to include a travel picture or two in just about every post. That was back when I was using my Nokia cell phone for just about every picture. Since it quit (retired??) and was replaced with my new Pixel phone, I seem to have quit posting them. I've still been taking them but haven't posted them because they don't have the same quality as the ones with the Nokia. Well, good or bad, here are some travel pictures from yesterday. It is on the ride from Yankton, South Dakota to Fort Thompson, South Dakota.

This is the rolling hills north of the Missouri River valley. 

A neat old barn. I wish I could stop and ask about such places. I would like to know how old it is, who built it, etc.

This newer barn was about 5 miles away from the last one. That 5 miles seems to be about the distance between the homesteads. 

This very tall statue is located in the rest area along Interstate 90. It is clear that we are getting deeper into the Indian Lands.That is the Missouri River in the background as well as the town of Chamberlain, SD.

I haven't taken a picture of a "long lonesome highway" in a while. This is a two-lane state highway between I-90 and the campground. The distance was18 miles and I saw about 3 vehicles. There were a few combines working in one of the fields.

Another one of those old structures with a story to tell, but nobody around to tell it.

I was torn between this picture and the one about as to the long highway. Since I couldn't decide, I posted both.

Campsite, just downstream of Big Bend Dam


How about a nice baseball diamond. This is from upstream of the dam. That is the gates on the left which seemed to be all closed. I'll try to verify that today. 

A nice "thinking bench" located within the campground.

Today's exploration is to an Indian Museum that has received great reviews. It is about 20 miles away through the reservation. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. Those pictures you were worried about are just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant the new cell phone is harder to take pictures while driving. Not as easy to hold steady while driving with my knee.

    ReplyDelete