Friday, August 13, 2021

Exploring another Indian Museum

Location: Left Tailrace Corps of Engineers Campground on the Missouri River at Big Bend Dam near Fort Thompson, South Dakota.

Chamberlain is about 25 miles away from the campground and is home to a very nice Indian Museum. It ranks in the top three that I've visited over the years. The one in Cherokee, North Carolina is still number one. The weather and drive to get there was nice. 

This area is like a mini Black Hills. Most of it is short grassy hills with a few crops like corn and soy beans. Cattle seem to do well on the short grass. This area is suffering from a drought which has caused the corn to be stunted. It is about half the size and density as the corn in Iowa. 

After visiting the museum, I started writing a blog post about what I learned about the Sioux Nation. It was getting very long so I placed it in Draft and will complete it later. This post will mainly be pictures with captions.

I'm including the picture of the campsite again

This is a nice memorial on the top of the dam. It is to the Indians who died at Fort Thompson.

 
Chamberlain, South Dakota. Another vibrant and active "old downtown". The southern cities need to seen representative north to find out how to do it because too many southern downtowns are fading away.

A rare side by side truss bridge(s) over the Missouri River. This was the major crossing before I-90.

Canoes like this were being used on the Missouri when Lewis & Clark met the Sioux people

A very nice diorama. If the male looks familiar, it's because it is the costume from a character in the movie "Dances with Wolves". The movie used historically accurate costumes.

A nice museum. "Night Mode" worked well on my new cell phone camera.

A couple houses with a great view of the Missouri River

Another travel picture

The big sky allows you to see the weather fronts as they pass through.

Yep, all gates are closed. The only water passing through the dam is through the Hydro-electric powerhouse. 



Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be headed about 150 miles north to Mobridge, South Dakota. It is one of my old hometowns. We moved there when I was 2 years of age in 1958 and stayed for about 1 1/2 years. Obviously, memories won't be flooding back, but still nice to see the place. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

2 comments:

  1. Great blog entry my friend. The campsite pics are very valuable to me. You write well and I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barney,,,, the COE campgrounds are top of my list. This one is $9.00 a night with the pass. Be safe when you pull out of Alabama.

    ReplyDelete