Sunday, August 4, 2019

Shoshone Falls; The Niagara Falls of the West

Location: Twin Falls County Fairgrounds RV Park; Twin Falls, Idaho (elev. 3,725 feet)

All pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 cell phone

Thru Stop # 10

Shoshone Falls have been on my list of things to see and do for a few years but I've never been in the area until now. The falls are one of the main reasons I chose Idaho as the destination for this trip. As I mentioned in the last post, I was concerned about being disappointed and let down by what I was going to see. I thought I may have been too late in the year and that the falls would be running low. That may have been the case but since I don't have "full falls" to compare them to, all I can say is they looked great to me. 

Just pictures,,,,,, Some may look like duplicates, but I culled them as much as I could. I am still amazed how well my old cell phone is doing at taking pictures. I bought it 6 years ago because it was the best picture-taking cell phone at the time. It's still paying off. I took my big ole fancy Nikon camera with extra lens with me just in case I thought I may need it. I didn't even take it out of the truck because I was confident my cell phone would be OK. It was.

This is the view I liked the best. Most of the people who were at the falls, never saw them from this point. You have walk along a path leading away from the parking area with the picnic tables and stuff. I think it is the old viewing point before they built the current viewing platform. 

This one shows the side falls coming in from the right

Of course there has to be a rainbow,,,in this case, two.

A panoramic picture showing the Snake River leaving the falls.

Looking straight at the main falls.

Got to have a "thinking bench".

Looking downstream. There were some smaller white birds and one big dark bird.

Now this is "a house on a hill". It is on the rim looking directly down at the falls. What a view they have with their coffee every morning.
The next batch of pictures is from the Twin Falls Dam area. It is located a few miles upstream of Shoshone Falls and were a little drier than normal (according to some locals). At one time they were suppose to be really nice. But I enjoyed them and the park anyhow.
Twin Falls. I guess this is where the town got it's name. There was only one fall today,,,,

This is looking downstream of Twin Falls. Compare it to the downstream view from Shoshone Falls.

Freedom parked all alone as usual. While there were a few people at Shoshone Falls, there were none at Twin Falls. 

This is what the irrigation water from the Snake River has done for this part of Idaho. The left is un-irrigated,,,, the right is irrigated. 
Tomorrow is moving day and I'm beginnng think I should have given more time to this area. Three days is long for me when I'm really traveling, but three may not be long enough for here. Oh well, I have some options if I want to pass through this place again on my way home. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.


6 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of Shoshone Falls before, it looks like something I need to see. I put it on my list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sure worth a visit. Takes a $5.00 bill to get in though.

      Delete
  2. Memories for me again. Both falls at peak flow are much more dramatic. But they were always nice to see at all levels. I remember (memory?) Twin Falls shooting farther out by a good bit when running stronger. Wonderful area. Lots more great scenery coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you made it and you weren't disappointed. That second fall at Twin Falls only appears occasionally. Travel safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barb,,,,yeah I wasn't disappointed. Be safe out there.

      Delete