Thursday, August 1, 2019

Massacre Rocks State Park (Idaho)

Location: Massacre Rocks State Park; American Falls, Idaho (elev 4,350 ft)

All pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 cell phone

Thru Stop #9
I think I may need to switch the titles between this post and the last post. This one is more about the town of American Falls and the other was more about Massacre Rocks State Park. Oh well, I won't do it now since that will be confusing. I'll wait a few months when nobody will notice. :)

Strong winds started blowing yesterday evening and was rocking Liberty pretty good. I tried not to think about her being parked within a few feet of the edge of a dropoff. I did remember a wind storm a couple of years ago that blew the chocks from under Liberty's tires so after that pleasant thought I went outside and kick the chocks a little tighter. The wind calmed down after dark but this afternoon they started again but this time there was lightening, thunder and some rain. The storm lasted about 30 minutes before passing on by.
A view looking downstream of the Snake River. Taken while walking around the campground.

Looking upstream from the same vantage point as the previous picture.

How about a panoramic view downstream

Same vantage point but looking up the hill towards Liberty. Her color makes her blend in compared to the lighter colored RV's.

This is Register Rock. It has names and dates scratched on it from some of the people who passed this way while headed to Oregon and California on the Oregon Trail. The tree in the foreground had really dark red leaves. I'm not sure what it is but one of the other campers thought it was some type of maple.

These are more of large rocks laying strewn around this area. One of the brochures said they were scattered that way when Lake Bonneville flooded the area 1000's of years ago. The Great Salt Lake is what is left of the lake. That is also where the Bonneville Salt Flats get their name.

I visited the town of American Falls the other day. I wanted to take a look at their dam since I had heard about it years ago. The original dam was replaced sometime in the 70's and not much of the original is left. There is an old stone house that I've been told was part of the original hydro-electric power house, but I'm not 100% sure. I did find a picture online showing the new spillway open which makes the stone house seem even more out of place. There isn't many places to eat in American Falls so I went to the small grocery store and picked up a few things. Their steaks were real cheap so I picked up a T-bone and NY Strip. Both were very good.

The new Hydro-electric part of the dam.

The old stone house left over from the original dam. I'm not sure why they didn't tear it down with the rest of the dam.

I stole this picture from the internet. You can see the stone house with the waters rushing by it from the spillway being wide open.

Tomorrow is moving day and it will be just a short tow to Twin Falls where I'll stay for 3 days. Compared to here, there is a lot to see and do in Twin Falls plus a much better restaurant selection. I have reservations all the way to Coeur d'Alene after which will be time to head home. 
This is from this afternoon before the storms hit.

I will remember this view since it is from the door of Liberty. Good coffee drinking/thinking view.

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment