Monday, July 14, 2014

Travel Day (Mill Creek COE Park to Delaware State Park, Delaware, Ohio) and the Airstream Factory Tour

Location: Delaware State Park; Delaware, Ohio
(click pics to enlarge)

If anyone needs to contact me and doesn't want it posted, my email address is:
Darrell_g42@hotmail.com

The trip from Mill Creek was uneventful. I was concerned about the thunderstorms in the area but I got lucky and didn't get a drop. It was hot and humid in front of the storm. The weather is suppose to be nice here for the next few days. The landscape is relatively flat farmland.
Typical landscape for this area
I will pull out of here Thursday morning for a place in the very northeast corner of Ohio.

The park is nice and heavily wooded. The sites are asphalt and level with plenty of room between each. This is the kind of park I expected of the
Campsite # 119
Empty campsites down the street

Corps of Engineers but was disappointed. The park is only about 25% full, but they say it fills up quickly on Friday and then thru the weekend. There is a nice lake with a marina that has several very expensive boats. I assume this is one of the "water playgrounds" for the people of Columbus which is about 30 miles away.








Today I drove about 50 miles to Jackson Center, Ohio to take a tour of the Airstream factory. I was surprised by the number in the tour.

Some of my tour mates
I was expecting only a few but there must have been 30 people. Every Airstream is made in this factory located in a town with a population of 1,500. Airstream has been around since 1932 when the founder outgrew his backyard where he had been building trailers for family and friends. The first location was out in
California but by 1952 they had a couple factories working including the one I toured today.

Vintage Airstreams



The first one is a !937 Clipper. Has character, uh?
Pictures were only allowed in limited areas. The tour was interesting to see how the iconic aluminum trailer is put together. To me, one of the most interesting things about Airstream was their African caravan in 1959. The owner of the company, Wally Byam, lead 41 Airstream trailers from Cape Town, South Africa to Cairo, Egypt. The distance was about 16,000 miles and took about 9 months to complete. It clearly showed that the trailer was well made and could be lived in easily.

On the way back to the campground, I found a nice Kroger and bought some steaks and fruit. Good eating tonight. :) It was a good day.

Ya'll take care of each other. Cya down the road.







No comments:

Post a Comment