Monday, May 19, 2014

911 Memorial and just driving around

I'm still in Hickory Hollow Campground and should be here through Thursday.

I had planned to head over to the Pittsburgh area today but got a late start because I was online and on the phone trying to find a place to camp for the Memorial Day weekend. I didn't pull out of the campground until around 11:00 so I decided to just drive around. I headed off on some smaller country roads in the general direction of the Flight 93 Memorial. After just a few miles I came upon a nice looking
restaurant. Since it was close to noon, I thought I would give it a try. I ordered a Sloppy Joe with fries and cole slaw, all for $4.50. Everything was pretty good except the cole slaw had a vinegar taste to it and the cabbage was minced instead of shredded or cubed. It was different, but good.

With full belly, I hit the road. The countryside here is very pretty. It is rolling hills with farms everywhere. As you ride
down the road you can see for miles in all directions. It is so different than Louisiana roads which are lined with pine trees. There are a lot of giant windmills on the hill tops around here. I really mean Giant too. In the picture of
the windmill, that is a real 2-story building next to it.







I also accidently ran across the factory for Snyder's of Berlin Potato Chips. Those chips have been a favorite for a special
person for a very long time.  










I entered the 911 Memorial and was very happy NOT to see any commercializing on the way inside. No vendors selling
trinkets or a Motel 6. Not even a gas station. The memorial is a simple affair.




You go along a walkway made of black stone to a white marble wall with the names of the victims carved into it.



The white wall is lined up with the flight path of the plane and a large sandstone marks the beginning of the debris field.



 The crater was 40 feet deep and was filled in after everything was retrieved. One thing I learned was "handwritten documents in Arabic describing the terrorist's plans for the attack", was found at the crash site. I had never heard of that before. Before it crashed, Flight 93 was headed to the Capitol building while both houses of Congress was in session. You can only imagine how disruptive to the country it would have been had a large percentage of Congress been killed on 9-11. We need to always remember, as bad as it was, the plan was even worse. A lot of people are acting like the terrorists just gave up and we are to start scaling back. Benghazi was a blatant terrorist attack on our country and we still have not caught the terrorists or even know exactly what happened. It's not the American way. We need to revive the "Speak softly, but carry a big stick". The people in power are forgetting. One of the best 9-11 songs is by Darryl Worley, "Have You Forgotten".

If I feel like it in the morning, I'll be heading to the Pittsburgh area.

The last picture is of the view as you are driving out of the 9-11 memorial. I wonder if some of the passengers were looking out the window and saw a similar view seconds before the crash. We must be prepared, because "like a thief in the night".



Ya'll take care of each other. Cya.

3 comments:

  1. Snyder chips are the best. Been long time since I had some. Used to get them mailed to us for a few years. I did share them we we would get some. Loved me some Snyder chips and pickled eggs.

    ReplyDelete