Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Last Stop before Home

 Location: Sam Houston Jones State Park; Lake Charles, Louisiana

First question most people will ask is who was Sam Houston Jones? Well, he was the governor who beat 3-term Governor Earl Long (brother of Huey) back in 1940. 

This state park was destroyed by a couple of hurricanes and a wild fire a few year back and has been completely rebuilt. The state has done an excellent job. 

I specifically chose this campground because of the new, clean concrete campsites. I used them to do some inspecting of Liberty's underbelly. It is enclosed with coroplast panels. I needed to make sure they were still sealed up front so rainwater doesn't flow down Liberty's front end and enter the void between the coroplast and floor. I also checked other places,,,,, oh nevermind.

To avoid the rough U.S. 90 highway, I chose a state route that ran roughly parallel to the U.S. Highway. It was much smoother and only about 15 minutes slower. Good deal, Lucille

My campsite with clean concrete. The campground is about 75% full which is surprising for the middle of the week. 

The narrowest boat ramp I've ever seen but it makes a nice picture.

Nice lake in the middle of the state park. It is surrounded by the campground, picnic locations, elevated walkways, tents and cabins. They did a really good job at rebuilding.

I liked this picture because of the reflections. Right place at the right time.



I guess this is an appropriate picture for the last one on this trip. I'll leave it up to ya'll to guess if it is a sunrise or sunset.

Tomorrow is moving day and my next stop will be my home base campground. I'll do a trip wrap-up after a few days of de-compressing and allowing the recent memories to find their final resting places.

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.   

7 comments:

  1. It looks like a sunset photo. A nice one at that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Rob,,it's a sunrise. I don't take very many sunrises but I couldn't pass this one up.

      Delete
    2. I had a 50/50 chance... good thing I didn't buy a lotto ticket yesterday!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the nice pictures of all the areas,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Barney. I hope you heal up quickly. Stay warm over there and maybe think about taking some short trips close by just to see some new things.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for telling about your travels. New places to think about visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Larry, I hope your travels are safe and peaceful.

      Delete