Sunday, September 10, 2023

Relaxing Campground (mostly pictures)

Location: Pickensville Campground (Corps of Engineers); Pickensville, Alabama

My last morning at Piney Grove Campground gave me an unexpected sunrise. 

Sometimes you're rewarded for getting up early.

I liked this one.
On the way here, I traveled on a part of the Natchez Trace Parkway. It is a National Park/Road that goes from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee. It is a nice two-lane road with very little traffic and since it was going in my direction and I had plenty of time I used it. I also stopped at their Visitor's Center for about 45 minutes. There is supposed to be another visitors center in Natchez that I'll explore in a couple of weeks.

Typical Natchez Trace. I've traveled a lot of it over the years.

I also stopped at a Taco Bell with Liberty in tow. I saw on Google maps that they had a larger than normal parking area so I gave it a shot. It worked out really good. The food was way above average and I was able to get into the place although I didn't have a reservation. I didn't see the maitre d', I guess he was on smoke break.

This was a first. It was a good stop.

This campground is essentially right on the Mississippi/Alabama state line. I chose it for two reasons. First, I could get a campsite within an easy stones throw of the Tenn-Tom River so I could watch the tow boats as they paraded by,,,,Second, online reviews said the Pickensville Dam Visitor's Center was very good and they had a "Snag Boat" to explore. Well, number one was true, but number two was a bust. The visitors center was closed for remodeling and that meant the snag boat was closed too. But on the bright side, that means the campground goes on my list of places to return.

I've been slacking about road pictures. This is central Mississippi. I know there are a few readers that have mentioned they like them because it is the only way they will ever be able to see these places and taking them through my windshield is as if they were there. 


The corn has browned out and some harvesting has started in places. It was still green when I was up north. I hope they have a great crop.



It's a small dam compared to some I've seen on this trip but it was still nice.

This campground has about 150 campsites and surprisingly, only about 10 to 20% are occupied. I know the camping season is winding down but I'm still surprised at the lack of campers in such a great campground. They have lots of sites close to the river for boat watching or others that are nicely tucked back in the woods. If you come here, be sure to bring whatever you need since the only place to get anything in town is a Dollar General. I mistakenly thought I would be able to get some fresh fruit since they started selling it a while back. I've gotten some good fruit there before. Nope, another disappointment. No fresh fruit here. Oh well, today is moving day and I plan to stop at a Walmart before getting to my next campground.

My campsite here at Pickensville Campground. That is the Tenn-Tom in the background.


This is looking downstream towards the dam.

Since the Visitors Center was closed, I drove about 10 miles to the town of Aliceville to visit their POW museum. Aliceville had the first POW camp of World War 2. It opened in June of 1943 when 3,000 Germans POWs from Hitlers Afrika Corp. It was a big deal for such a small town and the museum documents the experience really good. Worth a stop. I was hoping the town had an Alice's Restaurant but was again disappointed. (Younger people will have to ask a seasoned citizen about Alice's Restaurant or google Arlo Guthrie).

The three days here has been very relaxing just watching the tow boats on parade. The weather has cooperated with highs in the mid 80's and lows in the upper 60's. Nice walking weather, either in the morning or evening. 


They have a nice small cypress lake in the middle of the campground.

Typical road in the campground.

This is taken from the banks of the river looking back at Liberty. It gives an idea of the room each campsite has.

This guy spent part of the night tied up on the opposite bank from me. He left not long after sunrise.

Tow boats on parade

Looking out Liberty's door.

Multi-colors

This one had an attachment tied to the front of the lead barge. I don't know what it was and didn't get a good look or picture of it. 

Today is moving day and I'll be moving only about an hour south so I won't leave here until around 1 or 2 o'clock since the check-in time is 4:00. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for more nice coverage again. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Darrell, I specially like sunrises and sunsets and you did a good job on those.

    ReplyDelete