Sunday, September 24, 2023

Good News, Good Campsite, Good Sunset

 Location: Old Federal Campground (COE); Flowery Branch, Georgia (about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta)

The good news: My air conditioner has been delivered to my mobile RV (AC) tech in Mobile, Alabama. It seems everything fell in place as far as delivery and it arrived earlier than we all expected. My tech and I have decided on October 3rd as a good date to install it. I have reserved a campsite for the 2nd and 3rd at Meaher State Park in Spanish Fort which is the campground I was at when the tech diagnosed the problem. There is a better than 50% chance of rain on those two days so it will be fingers crossed until he finishes the job. Between now and then I have reservations at three COE campgrounds with what looks to be fantastic campsites. The weather has been great here in Georgia with highs in the upper 70's to low 80's with a nice breeze and lows in the lower 60's. I will leave Georgia and the nice weather on the 2nd and make the 250 mile tow down to Mobile where the high's are in the mid 80's. It should be a little warm but still OK because my A/C is still hanging in there at 5* lower temperature than the outside.  

I got very lucky on being able to get the campsite I'm at now. I reserved it just a week or so ago which is a very short time frame now a days. This campground is full, or at least reserved, every weekend during the summer. I talked with the host and she confirmed what I had already heard that lots of people reserved their favorite site at the beginning of the summer for every Friday and Saturday. With the senior pass, that would be $34.00 for the weekend and if they canceled early enough in the week, they could get a refund of $24.00. Someone must have just canceled as I was looking and booking my reservation because this site is top notch and much better than the semi-rainforest at the last two campgrounds. I think my next two campsites are going to rival this one. I'm gonna leave Georgia with a good vibe as far as campgrounds.

It was a little tricky backing in since the driveway has a curve to it where it ties into the cul-de-sac. Not a big problem for such a great campsite with morning and evening shade.

The view out my dirty back glass from my computer desk.

And the view looking out my door. A person could get used to this real easy.

No walking to see the sunset. It is right outside the door.


A peaceful sunset over a peaceful lake. I like it.

I went exploring today in search of a waterfall. I saw a place online named Toccoa Falls about 45 miles away so off I went. I should have did a little more researching since I got there about 10:30 but the place didn't open until 12. No problem, the little town had a Home Depot so I figured I would get a 30 amp plug so I could convert my old power cord into an extension cord. The didn't have one so I included Home Depot to my growing list of places that didn't have one. So far, it's Lowes and Ace. I may just order it online and have it shipped to Louisiana. To kill a little more time,  I found a locally owned, home cooking, buffet restaurant in the town of Toccoa. It was great. Very tender ribs, homemade 'nanner' pudding and cobbler. It was really good. 

I got back to the Falls a little after 12 and there was a line at the pay station. The cost was only $2.00 but I was surprised at the number of people. I then remembered it was a Saturday. I'm used to being alone at places like this but usually that is during the week and not on weekends. It was a nice waterfall and correctly priced at $2.00. After taking some pictures I noticed a placard and stone monument off to the side. It told the story about a dam failing that had created the lake on top of the hill/mountain where the falls are located. A wall of water had come crashing down where I was standing and washed everything away. The sad part is that it killed 39 people and injured 60 others on the deadly morning. All of these people were either student or staff at the college located within a 1/4 mile downstream from the falls. The college is appropriately named Toccoa Falls College. It was founded in 1907 and is "dedicated to a single purpose: Developing godly character with intellect." You don't hear or read about a mission statement like that now-a-days. I think it is great and based on the look of the campus, this small college is doing OK. 

Nice looking falls for this part of the country. I haven't seen any in a while, so it was a good day.


My thoughts after I talked to my RV tech about the A/C pretty much summed up the life of a full-time RV traveler. When he told me the A/C came in, I said, "that's great, I'm in north Georgia right now but I'll swing by the Mobile, Alabama area on my way back to Louisiana so you can put it in." That's about an 850 mile trip with maybe a half dozen campgrounds along the way and I casually mentioned it the same way someone would say they were running to the store for a gallon of milk. It just sort of summed up the life we live and the freedom that comes with it. 

A nice looking, but uncomfortable bench along the path going to the Falls. 

 Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.

6 comments:

  1. Glad everything is working out. Take care and keep those post coming as I enjoy reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I hope ya'll are still enjoying your retirement. I still have trouble getting into ya'll's blog.

      Delete
  2. Glad you have a plan...would hate to be w/o AC in this heat. Enjoy your post and you provide me with a future list of CG spots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky with the campsites on this trip. I've only had a couple bad ones out of the 50 or so I've stayed. Have fun on ya'll's travels. Be safe.

      Delete
  3. Hope everything works out with the new AC. Great looking campground and falls. Coming that way shortly, did you go thru Atlanta or bypass around?
    Take care
    SR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the interstate bypass on the west side of town going to McKinney. There were a couple of delays, but not a problem. I also "swam" through red lights on a U.S. highway north of town going to Old Federal. I did that to avoid lots of construction on the bypass on the north side. Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be using the east and south bypass. Google Maps Traffic is pretty accurate.

      Delete