Thursday, September 28, 2023

Hanging Out in Georgia (mostly pictures)

Location: Whitetail Ridge Campground (COE); LaGrange, Georgia 

It's another great Corps of Engineers Campground. Although the lake level is low, it is still a great view from my campsite. The weather has even cooperated with no need for A/C over the last two day. Today's forecast predicts noon as being the time when the temperature gets higher than 70 degrees.

This was the last sunset at Old Federal Campground. It was the best of the ones I saw there. Again, it was a great campsite.
My current campsite at Whitetail Ridge Campground. Another good one, I'm on a winning streak.

 


This shows the low lake level. The brown/reddish dirt is the old lake bottom and the grassy area on the lower right is the normal lake level. 

This walking back to Liberty which is shown in the middle left part of the picture. The elevation drop of the lake is not as dramatic as some I've seen in Texas, but since it is a shallow lake at this location, it looks worse than it is. 

I wish this great weather would follow me when I head to Mobile, Alabama on Monday to have my new A/C unit installed. The predicted high at Mobile on Monday is 88 degrees. It will be a 250+ mile tow so I plan to get there late in the afternoon with hopes of cooling temperatures. The A/C tech plans to install the unit Tuesday morning so hopefully it will be working really good by the heat of the afternoon. If it puts out a 20 degree difference from the outside temperature, I should have it down into the mid 60's by sundown. 

Most of the time when air conditioners are mentioned, I'm reminded of an older man who worked for me early in my career. His name was Austin Lazarus and he told the story about when he and his wife got their first air conditioner back in the late 60's. His wife, being the budget conscious part of the pair, would turn the A/C off or on a high setting during the day while Austin was working. When he would get home from working outside all day, the house would be a little cool, but not cold, since she would turn it on an hour or so before he got home. He told us, he finally put his foot down and told her that "he expected his house to be as cold as it was in the A&P was when he was a kid walking into the store barefooted on the cold linoleum." Doesn't that just paint a mental picture that lots of us can understand and appreciate. Austin passed away several years ago and is missed by many people. His son, Eddie, who also worked for me for a short time, opened his own A/C shop and was very successful. In fact, about 12 years ago, Eddie and his son (Austin's grandson), installed a new replacement central A/C unit in my house. More of life's circles. They are everywhere, we just have to look.

I found a nice Museum called The Biblical History Center here in LaGrange. It centered a lot on the changes in Israel over the centuries. It was kind of interesting with accurate reproduction of items from the different time periods. They also had some exhibits of actual artifacts on loan from some museums in Israel. The actual artifacts were protected behind glass with a strictly enforced "No Photography Allowed." It was an interesting 2 hours of wandering and learning. I could easily have spent another 2 hours if I wanted.

This picture and the next one are pretty accurate replicas of houses and businesses during Biblical times. 

The type of living conditions during Biblical times.

A man operated mill-stone in the foreground and a water wheel operated on in the background.

A partial overall view of many of the displays while looking through the Roman columns. 

A reproduction of an early Jewish Synagogue. That is the Seat of Moses in the middle left. 

This campsite has the rear window of Liberty pointed directly at the rising sun. This morning's sunrise was non-existent due to the overcast sky but yesterday's was a little above average sunrise.

The above average sunrise.



I didn't notice the reflection in the window until I downloaded my pictures. I like it. 

Today's exploration will be of a modern day laundromat or as my East Texas raised mother called it, a Wash-a-teria. Life goes on, even on the road. 

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll make a short move to the campground I stayed at when I first arrived in Georgia on my escape from the heat. It will be a different campsite and I think it will be a better one. I don't have any explorations planned while there so I may start doing some of my "trip wrap-up" since my trip is almost over. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road. 

2 comments: