Sunday, June 7, 2015

The "Remarkable" Beartooth Highway, (mostly pictures)

Location: Hardin KOA (el 3,000 ft); Hardin, Montana

(click pictures to enlarge)
(all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia 929 cell phone)

Although the location above says Hardin, this posting is from when I was staying in Red Lodge, Montana. I am still catching up on posts because I fell behind due to the large amount of things I saw in such a short time period in Yellowstone and then the Beartooth.

The one and only thing I went to Red Lodge to see was the Beartooth Highway. Built in 1937, it crosses the mountains between Red Lodge and Yellowstone with a summit that tops out at an elevation of 10,947 feet. Just a little walking at that altitude got me to breathing hard. I can't imagine having to do lots of physical work up that high. 

The road is only open during the summer months. It opened to traffic on May 29th and I rode it on June 3rd. It is another one of those right place, right time things. Snow was still in many places which gave a different impression than what it would be like in the middle of summer. There were not many people on the road which gave me time to stop on the road to see things that I wouldn't be able to see if there had been more traffic.

The first six pictures are travel pictures from West Yellowstone, Montana to Red Lodge, Montana. They represent south-western Montana.  
























Campsite at Red Lodge KOA; Red Lodge, Montana

It had rained in the days before I arrived in Red Lodge but it was a nice day for a ride on the Beartooth. There won't be any captions for these pictures, because most of them would just be 'wow'.






































Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Great Pictures. It looks like we did not do the entire Beartooth Highway. Thanks for showing us what we missed.

    ReplyDelete