Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Glacier National Park (part 3)(mostly pictures)

Location: St. Mary/East Glacier KOA (el.4,500 ft); St. Mary, Montana

(click pictures to enlarge)
(all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia 929 cell phone)


Yesterday's exploration was in the Many Glacier part of the park. It has it's own entrance and only goes about 10 miles or so into the park. I went to check out the lakes for a possible boat tour and to see a waterfall that I had heard about. I also wanted to see the old Hotel located on the banks of the lake. I was very surprised at the number of people, especially on a weekday. The lakes were pretty, but if I take a boat tour it will be on St. Mary Lake. I'll decide about the tour later today. The streams and rivers are very pretty and crystal clear. It is surprising how fast they are moving because the drop in elevation is sometimes barely noticeable. This water will join the Missouri River which will meet up with the Mississippi River above St. Louis before emptying into the Gulf of Mexico. I stood at the junction of the Missouri and Mississippi River last September and it was impressive. 
As with most roads in the park, they generally follow a stream or river. The water is crystal clear as it's coming directly from the mountains. 


The lakes with the mountains in the background are nice.


Same lake, different view

Looking up one of the many side valleys. This valley would have been half filled with snow/ice during the last ice age.

The scrub tree added something to this picture so while sorting through the many pictures, I kept this one.

Notice the bird flying in the center of the picture. Pretty cool, uh?

This is the Many Glacier Lodge. It was built in 1915 by the Great Northern Railway. That was the reason so many people were around this area.

A closer look at the lake with the mountains. 

This is the waterfalls I went to see. I took a nice video and posted it on facebook, but not sure about videos on here yet.

Freedom waiting at the top of the hill

Another view of the falls. 
Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be heading east from here. My plan is to head towards Manitowoc, Wisconsin. There is an informal reunion of the crew from the ship I was on in the Navy planned for July 10th. I have plenty of time to get there but it is not super important that I make it to the reunion so if I get side-tracked along the way, it will be fine. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment