Thursday, June 26, 2014

Moving Day (Willington, CT to Newburgh, NY)

Location: New York City/Newburgh KOA; Newburgh, New York
(click pic to enlarge)

I'm slowly but surely leaving the north-eastern states. I put Connecticut in my rear side mirror yesterday. Since I only had water and electric at the campground, I had a choice to either dump tanks or carry that extra weight all the way to this campground. The dump station at the campground was in a bad location for RV's the size of Freedom and Liberty. The curve was just too sharp and if I tried it, I was concerned about running over some large rocks that were around it. I know now why they had a "honey wagon" making the rounds of the other RV's. I looked online to find a dump station on my route and was very lucky in that there was on at a Rest Area as soon as I got back on the interstate. There may have been a sign as I entered the rest area that said something about the RV Sanitary Station being temporarily closed, but since I was going so fast (10 mph), I may have mis-read it. When I got up to the dump station location, it wasn't locked and there wasn't a closed sign, so obviously, I mis-read the other sign. I hurried in hooking up the hoses in case someone was going to come out hollering about it being closed. But, no one came and I was able to empty all of the tanks. I'm sure Freedom was happy about not have to haul that extra weight. 

It was a short haul of only 135 miles to this campground, but I needed to kill a few hours so as to not show up before check-in time. I stopped at
Rubbing shoulders with the big boys
a very busy TA truck stop and ate some breakfast. Freedom and Liberty got to park where the big boys park. They looked out of place, but who cares. I got to the park a little early and they checked me in for the first two days. I'm taking advantage of one of their mid-week
Entry to the Campground
specials of 2 for 1 days so I'll have to technically check out Friday and immediately check back in to the same site.   
Our new home (for 4 days :))
A few weeks ago after visiting Washington D.C., I decided to postpone going to New York City until I started back south. At that time, I wasn't sure I even wanted to visit another big city after the traffic and people in D.C. But, here I am, heading back south and knowing pretty sure that I'll never get back up to this part of the country again, decided to take a peek at NYC. I chose this KOA because they have a tour bus that leaves the campground and goes into New York. It is an abbreviated tour which is fine with me. My main interests are to see the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. I think they said they drive by ground zero, but it is so crowded that if we stopped, it would take most of the day all it's own. I've fine with the trip that is planned. It leaves the campground at 7:30 in the morning so I'll have to set my alarm clock again. Geez, that's twice in the last couple of weeks.

I drove around some today. I traveled over to Poughkeepsie, NY to see what the town looked like. I didn't have any particular goal, just driving
Suspension Bridge over the Hudson River
to get out for a while. Poughkeepsie is on the Hudson River, which surprised me in that it is a very large river. I found a nice little public park at the edge of the river and took some pictures and had a nice rest. It was a peaceful place with lots of people
The view from the bench
there on their noon break. On the way back to the campground, I found a Taco Bell and a Hannaford Grocery store. It is a lot like Whole Foods. I got a nice T-bone steak which I cooked up for supper. I'm getting ready to hit the sack as soon as I post this. Next post should be about the Big Apple, hopefully.

Ya'll take care of each other. Cya down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment