Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Cosmic Caverns

Campbell's Point Campground (COE); Shell Knob, Missouri

This is the eighth Corps of Engineers campground I've stayed at on this trip. I haven't counted them up but I would guess I've stayed in about 100 of them over the last 10 years and have only had one bad experience. One interesting thing has occurred this year compared to the past. Even though there are camp hosts, they don't routinely occupy the gate house or travel around the campground. Of the 8 campground on this trip, only one gate house has been manned. In the years past, the gate house was not only manned but they almost always wanted to see my senior pass and driver's license before logging me into the campground. The good part of this setup is I can show up before the check-in time and if my campsite is empty I can set up. So far, it's worked out pretty good. 

This campground is located in southern Missouri about half way between Eureka Springs, Arkansas and Branson, Missouri. Although there are a few "high hills" or "small mountains" it is not as someone would think about if you say you're staying in the Ozark Mountains. There are some good vista views and the roads are in above average to very good condition. Freedom and Liberty sort of like the winding and hilly roads (I'm just along for the ride sometimes).

I think this was southern Missouri and not northern Arkansas. It may have been psychological, but there did appear to be a difference in landscape once I crossed the state line.

This is about 10 miles from the campground. You drop down from this hill/mountain into the valley below.

This is the same view as the one above but is from a vista turnoff that I drove back to after setting up camp.

Although it is in a very rural area, the feel of the campground is "big-city".

The view out my back window

The main reason for my stopping here was to visit and explore the Cosmic Caverns of North Arkansas. They are Arkansas's largest privately owned show caves and were first discovered in 1845 but weren't developed until 1927. There are at least two lakes in the cavern and are considered to be "bottomless" since divers have not found their bottom. There was no evidence of the caves ever being used or visited by the native Americans.

The Cosmic Caverns are my fourth caverns I've toured and explore. The other three are Carlsbad, Longhorn and Mammoth. All four are different and after visiting Cosmic yesterday, I can't decide which one is the best and worse. I'm usually pretty good at ranking things, but am unable to do so with the caverns.

This is the map of the caverns

This is at the very beginning. That horizontal shaft in the center of the picture is a new exploration tunnel. During heavy rains, they have been hearing a tremendous amount of water rushing behind that wall. They suspect a possible underground waterfall, but haven't found it yet. By the way, that thing hanging down is a part of a stethoscope.

There was a large variety of geological formations.

An example of the walkway. This was the sturdier of all of them.

Fins and bacon. It did look like bacon.

There were some low hanging head knockers and narrow passages. 

That is the last of the lakes

Stalactites and our tour guide, Meagan, born in Beaumont, Texas.

Last picture.
The caverns are definitely worth a stop. You spend about 1 1/2 hours on the tour in 65 degree weather but very, very humid (90+ %).

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be heading about 125 miles north of here to another COE campground in Central Missouri. That campground should be close to the northern edge of the Ozarks and it will be interesting to see the change in landscape. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.

 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks John,,,,I can't tell by your blog if ya'll are on the road or not. If so, be safe out there.

      Delete