Tuesday, October 10, 2023

The Last Leg of the Trip

 Location: Chicot State Park; Ville Platte, Louisiana

This will be a brief post and will basically serve as a page mark to document the last campground before getting back to my home base for the holidays. 

This campground is a old state park along I-49 in the middle part of the state. I chose it simply because of its location in relation to my sisters hometown of Youngsville, Louisiana which is just south of Lafayette. It was an easy day trip yesterday to visit with her and get caught up on things. It was a nice visit. 

It's a nice isolated, in-the-woods campsite.

I got here Sunday afternoon after passing over the worse roads during my entire trip. I will not come back to this campground until they repave the state roads leading to the park. And of course that means I'll never be back since I doubt they repave them in my lifetime. 

If you're looking for a quiet, back in the woods type of campground, this is for you. I didn't do any exploring around the area during my stay of two days. If I had stayed longer, I wouldn't want to do much exploring because I would have to travel over the bad roads too much. 

Today is moving day and the last leg before getting home. It will be about 150 miles to get there with a stop along the way. I'm thinking about stopping at the CAT scale I used at the beginning of this trip. It may be interesting to see how much weight Liberty has gained or lost. I'm having to change my home base campground from the one I've been staying at for the last few years. I knew the owner, who lives in Houston, had been talking about closing the campground down and I guess he did it while I was gone on this trip. When I called, the voice message was a little vague but when I checked online it showed the campground as permanently close. 

Oh well, I'll just go to another one near Mansfield. I've stayed there a couple of time several years ago. The campground has about 150 campsites but was nearly full when I left so I was a little concerned that it may still be full since they would be absorbing the campers from the closed campground. When I called the new campground, the owner told me he had about 100 vacancies and for me to just pick one, set up, then Venmo him the information and rent. Sounds pretty easy if I can just remember how to do that Venmo thing.

I still have to do the trip wrap-up but it will have to wait a few more days so I can de-compress some more and get my thoughts in line. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road. 

1 comment: