Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Bigger Than the Panama Canal

 Location: Piney Grove Campground (Corps of Engineers); on the banks of Bay Springs Lake, near Booneville, Mississippi in the northeast corner of the state.

I'm about 45 miles due south of the Pickwick Campground I stayed at about 10 weeks ago. That campground was just downstream of the Pickwick Dam on the Tennessee River which was part of the TVA. Be patient, I'm trying to tie it all together. The TVA made the Tennessee River navigable from its headwaters near Knoxville, Tennessee to its connection with the Ohio River near Paducah, Kentucky. Well the people in Mississippi and Alabama said "what about doing something like that in our state?" 

They were looking for something to connect their major Gulf of Mexico port at Mobile, Alabama to places inside the country without having to go to New Orleans to use the Mississippi River. It had been talked about back in the 1800's about connecting the Tombigbee River to the Tennessee River but it was too big of a project so it was put on the shelf. After the TVA was completed, people started taking the plans off the shelf and asking Congress for the money to do the project. The money was allocated and the project, called the "Tenn-Tom", started in 1972 and was completed in 1984.

If you like maps, here's one. I took a picture of it at the Visitor's Center.

One major part of the project was to cut a channel through the hill that was separating the two rivers. A canal was cut through the hill to make the connection. The cut was 175 feet deep and 1,000 feet wide. It began at the dam location that created the lake where I'm currently camped and ended just upstream of the Pickwick Dam.

Pretty good campsite, uh? 

The trees have helped a lot with the heat.

And of course, my favorite, the view out my back window.

This is on the bank of lake within a few yards of Libby.

 
The Ten-Tom is the largest building project in the history of the Corps of Engineers. It is over 5 times longer than the Panama Canal and required the moving of over 1/3 more dirt. Bigger than the Panama Canal! When I was in the Navy, we transited the canal several times. It is an amazing site and definitely a major "wow". 

Once the project was completed, a ocean going freighter could off-load at Mobile and use the Tenn-Tom to connect to the navigable river systems inside the country. Fast and efficient.

Downstream of the Jamie Whitten Lock and Dam looking at the lock gate. The locking depth is an amazing 84 feet. Very impressive. 

I took this picture from the overlook. Since I didn't see any signs prohibiting it, I decided to go for a walk on top of the dam towards the lock. I also decided to walk fast so I could get there, before anyone tried to stop me. No one stopped or shot me, so I guess it was allowed. 

This gives you an idea of the 84 foot locking depth. By the way, there are no pumps, it's all done by gravity. 

Each of the high-mast lights had Osprey nests on top. You can see them soaring around above the dam.

Last look on my way out. It was a good stop on a nice weather day.

Looking downstream from the dam at the canal. That is the direction I'll be heading tomorrow. 


I'll be making my way down to the Gulf of Mexico with stops along the way at some of the dams on the Tenn-Tom. I'll be camping on a barrier island near Pensacola, Florida starting on the 17th of this month. I figured since I've followed several river systems in the country, I might as well add the Tenn-Tom to the completed list. I just hope the weather cooperates. When I planned the trip a month ago, the weather forecast had the highs in the mid 80's and lows in the mid 60's. We will see how it goes. 

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be headed to a COE campground on the border of Mississippi and Alabama. I'll be there for 3 days before moving on.

As I was typing this post, a major storm blew through the area. Just as it approached my campground it split in two and passed north and south of me. Since my parents lived in Booneville for about a year, maybe some of their "good vibes" are still in the area and is watching out for their "baby". 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.  


    


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you're welcome Barney. Good luck on your planning

      Delete
  2. Hey this is David, we meet at Columbus Park we where neighbors . I'm following your blog safe travels hopefully I'll see you down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David, I was glad to see your comment. I remember ya'll, nice family with two dogs, you work in construction. I hope you enjoy the blog and maybe it will give ya'll some ideas for camping locations. Be safe, have fun.

      Delete