Sunday, August 14, 2016

River Confluence & Travels Continue

Location: Elkhart County Fairgrounds; Goshen, Indiana

I'm in Goshen for the Forest River Owners Group (F.R.O.G) Rally which begins this evening. I showed up early to get some free work done on Liberty. But before I post about that, I need to get caught up on where I've been during the last couple of weeks. As I said in my last post, my niece passed away on August 2nd. I wanted to make a post about her but couldn't find the right words, so instead, I didn't post anything. I finally found some words, although not the words she deserved for her life, they were the best I could do. Now it is time to get caught up with things.

The last travel post was when I was camped at Maumelle State Park just outside of Little Rock, Arkansas. I've traveled a few miles since then.




After leaving Maumelle, I stopped at Boomland RV Park for two days. The park is associated with a very large Fireworks manufacturer and retailer, thus the name Boomland. They also have a restaurant, store and gas station. For those of ya'll that have been to a Buc-ees in Texas, well, this is a much dumpier version of that. The good part is the price, $12.00 for full hook-ups, and it was close to two things I wanted to see.

My campsite at Boomland. Not too bad for $12.00/night

I wanted to see the confluence of the Mississippi River and the Ohio River. They come together at the town of Cairo, Illinois which is at the very southern tip of the state. The town has gone downhill in the past few years and it seemed as though there were more empty buildings than occupied ones. There was nothing I needed to stop for in town so I went straight to the Fort Defiance Park where the rivers join. 
Looking downstream. That is the Ohio River on the left and the Mississippi River on the right.

Standing on the point looking upstream. The Mississippi River and the bridge to Missouri is on the left while the Ohio River and the bridge to Kentucky is on the right. The multicolored triangle in the middle is a navigation aid for the river pilots. 
Someone mows the grass in the park, but that is about it. I was the only one there during the entire hour that I stayed. The location has great history such as the place where Lewis and Clark camped while learning how to determine their location by latitude and longitude. There is a small plague that mentions that which seems to understate such an event. The location was also an important fort during the Civil War, but I didn't research enough of that to say much about it. Overall, I was impressed by the power of the two rivers and liked being at the point where they merge. It reminded me of when I stood at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers (archived post dated September 27, 2014). There is such a sense of power at these points of convergence. I was however, generally disappointed and depressed about the location.

After leaving Boomland I crossed the Mississippi River on I-57. My father was the Project Superintendent on that project back in the 70's while we lived in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. It was a long tow of about 400 miles to get to Hueston Woods State Park located just north of Cincinnati, Ohio. I chose the park as a place to kick back and relax before the RV rally. I also wanted to try out the golf course that was part of the state park. I hadn't played any golf or swung a club in nearly 2 years. I was hoping the golf course wouldn't have many people playing if I went during the week because I was fearful that some of my erratic shots may send someone to the hospital. My hopes worked out and I was probably one of only about 10 people on the course. It was a little warm and humid, but I enjoyed myself very much. I actually hit the ball better than I thought I would and ended up with an honest, 11 over par for nine holes. Yeah, I know, I only played nine. That was enough for the first time in so long. It was good.   
This is the campsite at Hueston Woods SP. It got very crowded on the weekend. If you travel through Ohio, you will need reservations at the parks on the weekends since they are reserved well in advance. If you stay during the week, it isn't a problem and they offer a great Passport America rate during the week. 

The lake and beach inside the park.

My golf cart next to one of the greens. I think I may have made a eagle, birdie bogey on that hole. I sure wanted to walk this course while carrying my clubs on a hot and humid day, but the lady in the clubhouse said I didn't have a flat enough belly for that, so I rented a cart. Maybe she said that just so I would rent a cart,,,hmmmmm. :)
After leaving Hueston Woods SP, I went north to Harrison Lake State Park so I would be within an easy towing distance (80 miles) of Goshen. I stayed there only one night. 
Campsite at Harrison Lake State Park

The next morning I emptied my tanks and headed out very early to the Rockwood factory where Liberty was born for some free repairs. I'm still amazed at the amount of free work, but that will have to wait until the next post.


I ran across this picture on the internet a while back. Although, Mandy was confined to a bed for the majority of her life, I like what this headstone represents. We should always cherish our Freedoms and realize that freedom comes in all different forms.

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos of Hueston Woods. Even though I live within an hours drive from it, I have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tour. So sorry to hear about your niece. She will always remain in your heart. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete