Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Another Moving Day

 Location: Jim Hogg COE campground; Georgetown, Texas

This is the 8th consecutive Corps of Engineers campground I've stayed at since I left Louisiana about a month ago. I've been very satisfied with most of them and a little disappointed in a couple 1 1/2 of them. So, that means I'm about 85% happy with the COE campgrounds on this trip. The next six campgrounds will be a mixture of State, City and County owned campgrounds. I have reservations all the way back to Louisiana except for a couple days at a first-come, first-serve camping area. My plan is to be back in Louisiana on or about April 11th.

A nice campsite here at Jim Hogg's Campground.

Today is moving day and I'll be heading towards the coast. Spring break festivities end in a couple of days in this part of Texas so I'll make a stop about half way to the coast to give plenty of time for people to clear out and things to get cleaned up. I'll stop in a small Texas town called Yoakum. Not much there, but they do have a city owned RV park that had pretty good reviews although a couple were not so good. What I've learned over the years is there are mean-spirited people that will make up stuff just to give a bad review. They lie. This afternoon, I'll find out which reviews were more accurate. But hey, the city has an H-E-B so there's got to be something there, right? It will also be a good location for a base camp for me to explore a town and museum that's I've wanted to see. Yeah, a museum. Again, if I'm disappointed, oh well, it won't be the first or last time. 

I'm still liking these 4 day stays at campgrounds with a short haul in between. Today's tow will be about 130 miles which is longer than most of my recent tows but shorter than when I used to average closer to 200 miles when I started traveling back in 2014. Most of the 130 miles will be through small towns on state highways. I've used Google maps to verify a couple of things about the highway I'll be traveling. One, it's in better than average condition and two, most of it's length has half paved shoulders wide enough to pull off with one wheel still on pavement. I'm looking forward to a nice leisurely drive. I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment