Friday, March 31, 2023

A Beach Sunrise and Travel Day

 Location: Quintano County Beach Campground; Freeport, TX

Today was travel day to a campground that I've been to twice in the past. But before leaving Mustang Island, I was able to get a couple of sunrise pictures. The tides have been high in the early afternoon, and the strong winds have been blowing water farther up onto the beach. Sunrise is around 7:15  and since high tide was around 2:00 p.m., I thought I would catch the sunrise in between tides. I was wrong, that didn't happen. One morning I was headed to the beach, had shifted into 4 wheel drive and as I came out of the soft sand and onto the beach, bam!, there was water everywhere. I was lucky and was able to turn around. They said something about the wind and tide causing the problem. I didn't investigate any further and was slower at approaching the beach afterwards. I got lucky on the last day at Mustang Island and was able to creep out onto the beach to get some sunrise pictures. I was only able to stay about 15 minutes before the water began lapping at Freedoms tires. It was worth it because that is one of the reason I came here was to see some beach sunrises.

I was afraid the clouds were going to keep the sun from shining through.

The sun popped through a little opening in the clouds. It was nice.

The water getting close to Freedom broke the sunrise spell and I got off the beach while the getting was good.

Today's tow was a little less than 200 miles which about twice the distance I like to tow now-a-days. But, it was good weather, except for wind. I needed to find a place to stay for two days before my reservation at Galveston. I thought about going back to Magnolia Beach but wasn't thrilled about that due to the predicted high temperatures and humidity. I had looked into going back to Goose Island for those two day and hoped there would be a vacancy on the bay side. The campground showed full. But, I checked back a few hours later and there was a campsite, in the wooded area, at Goose. Apparently, someone had canceled. I jumped at the chance and made reservations. Afterwards, I decided to check the availability at Quintano County Campground. I figured they would be full up with it being a Friday and Saturday and Houston so close. But when I called, since they don't have online reservations, the nice lady said they had plenty of vacancies. Even though it is more expensive, I made the reservation and canceled the one at Goose Island.

With all of the natural beauty around the Gulf Coast area, there is also room for industry. 

Some people in Washington, DC needs to realize industry and nature can co-exist. 

The Coastal plains of the Texas Gulf Coast are as flat as Kansas, Nebraska or North Dakota. 

I haven't seen one of these in a while, and I'm always looking for them. It is an isolated tree in the middle of a field. To me, it always makes me wonder why it is still there. Why hasn't it been cut down over the years? There is a story to be told from every one of them.

Matagorda County Courthouse in Bay City, Texas while sitting at a red light. I've noticed the courthouse along the coast are more of a "plain Jane" style as opposed to the lavish architecture of the ones in and around the hill country.

Bay City is also where I introduced Liberty2 to Walmart. 

Those are some heavy duty, beaucoup big electrical transmission lines. At this point I was about 20 miles from the coast. If I remember to do so, I'll use Google Earth to see where they are coming from and going to. See what you think about when you travel alone. Decision may be easier, but your mind will wander.

Looking north, up the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW).

After you top over the ICW bridge, you get to see the Gulf of Mexico. To get to the campground, you turn left once you level out.

Another campsite picture.
  

Freeport is the town that has a diner (Sweet T's Diner) that made me a Reuben Sandwich several years ago. That sandwich is in the top 5 Reubens I've had from around the country. After getting Liberty2 set up, I went to see if they were still making it the right way. I thought about it for a long time before deciding to go because I was afraid of going for a second time may ruin a good memory if the sandwich wasn't as good. I was also concerned that it may be the same as kissing a woman; the first time is always the best.

I shouldn't have went. The corned beef was grisly, very little sour kraut which was bland. I was completely disappointed in the sandwich, however, the fries were really good. I'll have to think longer and harder before going for second helpings at some of my top places to eat.

This is inside the diner. I didn't take a picture of the Reuben because it wasn't worthy of having its picture taken.

Sweet T's Diner. If I go back, I'll get a burger instead of a Reuben. I didn't notice the "blessing box" until I was taking this picture. It has common items like soap, shampoo, socks, canned food, etc. I wish I had asked about its history but I didn't see it as I was entering. 

I'm also going to try, for the third time, to do something that I've failed at in my past visits here. I'm not going to mention it, because I may jinx it.

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road. 

1 comment:

  1. Around here in the Missouri River plains, if there is a tree in the middle of a field it normally means that’s where the old house or barn stood. Good travels to ya!

    ReplyDelete