Sunday, March 31, 2019

Trip Wrap-up

Location: New Rockdale RV Park; Mansfield, Louisiana
Circle Route in Texas


I'm back in my usual campsite in Mansfield, Louisiana. I'll be here at least a month or more. Summer will be here before we know it and with it some typical hot Louisiana weather. The hottest two months of the year around here are July and August. Maybe I'll be somewhere up north in Yankee-land or maybe the north-west during those two months. I'm just not sure yet. 

The trip was a short one by comparison to some of my others. This one latest one only 4 weeks and covered about 1200 miles. I stopped at a total of 5 campgrounds with 2 being Corps of Engineers campgrounds, 1 was a County owned campground and the other 2 were privately owned. They were all adequate and reasonably priced for what they offered. I would not hesitate staying at any of them again in the future.

Freedom did well on the trip and she now has about 110,000 miles with 40,000 of those miles towing Liberty. Both are about 5 1/2 years old. I did get confirmation from an RV repair shop near my last stop of the trip that Liberty's bedroom air conditioner needs to be replaced. I was hoping it was going to be a simple fix, like a capacitor needing replaced, but nope, the whole thing needs replacing. Except for one night, I've lived in Liberty since I bought her, so, the appliances in Liberty have been in used a lot when compared to other RV's that may only be used every other weekend for the summer. I'm guessing this A/C unit will be the first of many appliances replaced, but I can't complain too much. Everything has held up surprisingly well, for the amount of miles over sometimes very bumpy roads she has on her.

Some of the highlights of the trip was visiting Dealey Plaza to see the JFK assassination location. It was a strange feeling being at the place where the path of our country was changed by a couple of bullets fired by one or more people. Another highlight was visiting Longhorn Caverns. They are not as big or nice as Carlsbad Caverns, but they were still worth a stop, even though they have a higher entrance fee than Carlsbad. The Gulf of Mexico at Quintana and Bolivar was nice. To me, the Gulf is always a place of peace. All large bodies of water is nice for me, but there is always something special about seeing the Gulf. I know this will surprise some readers, but the weather, with it's sometime cold, dreary, foggy, windy and unpredictability was also a highlight. It is always nice to see what nature has in store for us, even bad weather.  

I took this while walking on the jetty that outlines the entrance to Freeport, Texas. It was a chilly, stormy morning at high tide. Waves were crashing over the jetty and I was the only one out there. This will probably be my most vivid memory of the trip.  

But even when the storms are blowing and the waves are crashing everywhere, there is always a path back home.
Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.


14 comments:

  1. Welcome back after a safe trip. I will start my trip to north Alabama sometime this April. The OFM is looking forward to your next adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barney,,,, Be safe on your trip and enjoy the ride. Leave some fish for next time.

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it back safe. Despite having grown up in South Florida I know it would be very difficult for me to deal with the heat and humidity of the deep South in the Summer. I used to spend a few weeks at my Moms house in South Georgia in the Summer before she passed away, but if at all possible I would try to visit during the winter when the heat and humidity was more tolerable for me.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to avoid the heat and humidity again this year. It will sap the will and desire right out of you,,, as if I need to lose more..lol Be safe out west.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed your travels through your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy them Betty. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  4. Have a good stay at "home." We will soon be out and about. Looking forward to your summer travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. Ya'll be safe on the road and have fun. By the way, I still can't comment on your blog. Something is preventing me from doing so.

      Delete
  5. Welcome home! You did have a great trip and thanks for taking us along! Bet there's a little girl who's happy to have her grandpa home :) Enjy your time there and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K&S. Yeah, I enjoyed the big hug from her. Ya'll have fun with the re-model and short trips. Be safe out there.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like your trip was a good one. Always good to get out and meander around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawn,,,, ya'll be careful when you head to the far north

      Delete
  7. Darrell, I have to say I always enjoy reading your blog; comes to me in an email and when I see it I always flag it for reading later. I want to be finished with everything I'm doing and be at a point where I can take a few moments and enjoy your travels. I used to own a travel trailer, but that was in a previous life, one in which I had plans to do what you're doing, but those like many other things in our life changed. Please keep posting to your blog, long time reader. One day we'll have to have a meet and greet, until then as you say; "Cya down the road"..... Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis. I'm glad you enjoy the blog and that it may bring back some good RV memories. When we meet up down the road, the coffee is on me. Cya.

      Delete