Monday, March 11, 2019

Gulf of Mexico; Quintana



Location: Quintana Beach County Campground; Quintana, Texas 

all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 Cell Phone


I pulled out of Jim Hogg Campground in a cold drizzling rain. It stopped long enough for me to empty my tanks but lasted long enough to give me the shivers. I towed in and out of this little rain front all the way to the coast. Luckily, I was able to arrive and set up camp before the rain reached Quintana.

I've known of this campground for some time now but have never been in a position to camp and check it out. I've known others who have camped here and said great things about it. So, we will see how it is since I'm registered for a nine day stay. That is really a super long stay for me when I'm traveling. 

I'm writing this post on Monday morning after arriving here Saturday afternoon. I have only been able to see the Gulf for just a short time due to rain and fog. Yeah, fog. It rolled in Saturday night and didn't start clearing until late Sunday afternoon. Looking out the window, it is foggy again this morning. It is suppose to get better by Wednesday, but me and the weather-people haven't been on the same page lately. 

Just a few pictures until I get a chance to do more exploring. 
This is still at Jim Hogg while sitting at the picnic table the afternoon before leaving.

Same time at the picnic table but looking back at the trees that I've been admiring since being here.

Still at the picnic table. I'm putting this picture here for two reasons. One: this is the same angle of Liberty that I took at Quintana which is posted later in this post. Second: to remember the old Hippie couple in the van. They have been here for the last few days. Today they have been listening to Crosby, Stilles, Nash and Young's Four Way Street album, 8-trackcassette, CD, ??? I knew every song, wow, it's been awhile.

It was an overcast day with on/off rain showers all the way. But traffic was light and the condition of the roads good.

That's a swarm of birds over the road. I'm assuming the grain silo on the left has something to do with it.

Just a few miles from Quintana and the coast. If you see a high bridge like that one ahead anywhere along the coast of Texas it can mean only one thing. The Intracoastal Waterway (ICW).

Sure enough, the ICW. So little traffic, I was able to take this from the top of the bridge. Tugs working, working, working. This is just a small part of the 3,000 miles of the ICW.

Coming down from the bridge. The Gulf is in the distance but I turn left at the intersection.

All set up at Quintana. This is the same perspective as the picture above at Jim Hogg


That's Liberty from the road on the backside of the campground leading to the ship channel. Alongside the road is the local mosquito hatchery. I hope I leave before they come out to play.

As with most of Texas, you can drive right out on the beach if you want.

I had to see the Gulf when the fog lifted. This is a quick picture of it and I hope more to come during this stay. Also looking for a nice sunrise. 

If you are ever in this area, stop in at Sweet T's Diner in Freeport (nearby town). It is just a few miles from the campground. I've tried Reuben Sandwiches all over the country and this one, at this little diner is definitely in the top 5. 
Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

5 comments:

  1. 8 track cassettes, that was a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the coast. It is nearly continuous this year to have the thick fog and drizzle. Also the National Bird of Texas (mosquito) has hatched down here in Rockport a couple of days ago. Look into the petro chem plants and my name was on a lot of that design effort down that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the Gulf when I'm away very long. No mosquitoes yet. I hope the breeze continues to help keep them away. Lots and lots of industry around here,,,, I like it.

      Delete
  3. We loved that campground. We did well fishing from the jetty.

    ReplyDelete