Thursday, May 18, 2017

Cowboy Museum and Tornadoes

Location: Lake El Reno RV Park (el 1,400 ft); El Reno, Oklahoma

all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 Cell phone
(click pictures to enlarge)


Current Location


I arrived at this little City Owned campground early yesterday afternoon. It's a first come, first served campground so that means no reservations. The town of El Reno is about 20 west of Oklahoma City on Interstate 40. There are two choices at this campground: one with water/electric only and the other full hook-ups. I chose the full hook ups since I didn't empty my tanks at the last "bad ju ju" campground (I didn't want to chance it with the Ju Ju getting inside Liberty more than it already had). I'm still disappointed in that place. Every Corp of Engineer's park I've ever stayed has been wonderfully maintained and well designed. Oh well, if that's the worst thing that happens on this trip I'll be very lucky.
Lake El Reno RV Park
Lake El Reno

Speaking of lucky. Tornadoes have been touching down to the west and southwest of me all afternoon. So far they keep missing me and it looks like the possibility is getting less and less as I type this post. They are suppose to start up again tomorrow afternoon but since it is moving day for me, I hope to be west of them by noon. The wind around here starts getting stronger and stronger as the heat of the day warms things up. It's not too bad up till about noon, but after that it can be a little dicey if towing. 

I finally was able to do some exploring today. I've been back on the road for three days and haven't seen much of anything I haven't seen before. Today's exploration was the National Cowboy Museum. I had heard it was a great museum so I wanted to see for myself. I've seen a lot of museums since I've been on the road and on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being terrible and 10 being great, I would score this one a 6. To me, paintings of cowboys is not something I would expect in a cowboy museum. I was looking for actual items, which there were some and a little history, and there was a little of that too. Maybe I'm just getting jaded about places like this. But overall it was good to get out and see something, anything.
This statue was outside. I tried to find the story about the Indian with an umbrella, but finally gave up.

This statue was impressive in size. It it bright white which is why it doesn't take a good picture. It was good work.

This was a mock-up of a chuckwagon and camp. These were the best parts of the museum.

A nice outdoors statue

The man, John Wayne. A great actor, person and American. My mother had a crush on him while I was growing up. The statue didn't look like him in the face, but the plaque said it was him.
I also went to the city park and saw the Oklahoma Land Run statues. Yeah, they call it "land run" now. I thought in school we were taught it was the "land rush". I guess things change. I wonder why they change? Is it just too confuse us older folks? Yeah, I could believe that.
These statues of the "land rush" were very detailed.

It was a small park but the statues were very good. You can see the whole thing in less than 30 minutes.
Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be heading a couple hundred miles west. Traveling this quickly is a good way to get me back in the swing of moving, but I'll have to find a place to hole up for a few days to let time catch up.
Wouldn't you know it, I was able to find a nice bench in a cool place at the Cowboy Museum.
Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

4 comments:

  1. I have missed your benches --- safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jenny,
      I've missed then too. More to come, hopefully.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. We have never stopped in El Reno. Always something to see everywhere. What a lovely setting for your bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a decent campground. Just the basics and 15 for w/e and 20 for fhu's. Be safe out there, watch out for the snow.

      Delete