Freedom and Liberty

Freedom and Liberty
I travel in Freedom but sleep in the security of Liberty (not only on the road, but in this amazing country of ours)

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Canyonlands National Park, "WoW"

Moab KOA Campground (el 4,500 ft); Moab, Utah

(click pictures to enlarge)
(all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia 929 Cell Phone)

There were two National Parks that I wanted to see in this area. They were Arches NP and Canyonlands NP. I figured Arches would be the best so I went there first, which was Sunday. I was disappointed. Yesterday I went to Canyonlands and it made up for my disappointment with Arches. Every stop was a "wow moment". I took lots of pictures but they don't capture the true beauty and vastness of the sights. There were times when I just stood there for several minutes trying to soak in the view. There was so much to absorb, your sense of sight just gets overwhelmed. That was combined with a fragrance in the air brought on by the short rain. I wasn't able to idendify the smell, no one seemed to know. I liked this National Park a lot, and will be back in the future. 

Some of the pictures may not have any captions because just seeing it says it all. I was glad my cell phone has the panorama app. It is very easy to use and produces pretty decent panoramic pictures. If anyone has a question about one, just comment or email me.
This is on the way to Canyonlands. I took it because that cloud over the mountains looked like an Indian smoke signal.

It looked like it was going to be a pretty day although the weather forecast called for scattered showers

This was taken for a "pull-off" before reaching the Park. It was a nice view.

A dark cloud came up as I was getting closer to the Park entrance. Just as I pulled into the parking lot of the visitor's center, it started raining with some soft hail mixed in. I knew it wouldn't last long, so I just reclined the seat and took a nap with the rain music playing tap-tap on the roof of Freedom. 




Panorama picture 




That's the Green River in the bottom of the canyons. It joins up with the Colorado just a little ways further south.









This gives an idea about the view-stops. The people are on the edge, looking around.




This was on the way out. I took it because of the balanced rock.
Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

8 comments:

  1. Darrell, are these photos of Canyonland from the park at the north entrance? I would recommend you also do the trip in the park from the south entrance also. Actually both ends of the park are spectacular but on a ten scale I would give the north side a 9 and the south a 10. Enjoying your posts and trip as much as ever. Be safe. Happy Days, Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin, these are from the northern part,,,the island in the sky. I don't know if I will get to the southern part or not before I leave the area.

      Delete
  2. We were very impressed with the Needles area of Canyonlands we were in last March & next time in the area plan to check out the Northern end of Canyonlands. That whole southeastern area of Utah is a marvelous scenic wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I will look at some of the views and it looks fake until I remind myself its real.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures Darrell ! I wonder if the smell you mentioned was ozone ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ed. I thought it smelled like the creosote bushes I smelled in west Texas and Arizona, but I haven't confirmed it yet. Not sure about Ozone, there wasn't any lightening with the storm. May remain a mystery to me.

      Delete
  4. Just curious, why were you disappointed with Arches? Now, Moab, I could see being disappointed with, but we really enjoyed Arches. Lots of other tourists, though. Hard to get a picture without a crowd in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello KCD, good to hear from you again. I just posted about my visit to Arches. I changed my mind a little bit and went with "semi-disappointment" instead of disappointment. Beside not feeling 100% when I visited, I got the feeling of "seen one sandstone formation, seen them all". I know that doesn't sound fair, but let's blame it on me not feeling well. :)

      Delete