Monday, September 2, 2024

Willow Beach & Indian Mounds

 Location: Willow Beach COE Campground; North Little Rock, Arkansas

I've stayed at this small and quiet campground several times over the years. It's location is perfect for me when returning to Louisiana from the north or east. With so many stays, I've explored most everything around the area including some urban locations in Little Rock. This time I opted to explore some Indian Mounds at an Archaeological site nearby. I didn't do any in depth exploring of the site like I have at similar locations in years past, but did do enough to know a little about the people who left the mounds behind.

I think I've been slacking in posting travel pictures so here is one of northeast Arkansas. To the one who wanted to see travel pictures, I'm still keeping my promise. :)



My campsite with a off-shoot of the Arkansas River in the background. 



Later in the evening of day 1 a front passed through that brought mostly wind, but some light rain. I'm camped under a pecan tree so about a dozen fell on Liberty. Yeah, I had visions of the tornado/storm from earlier in the trip.


The view out my back window. I've grown to like these a lot.


I've explored many Indian mounds around the country and find them interesting. Most of the time I feel as though the "experts" are trying to convince me about the truth of their interpretations or as I like to call them, "wild ass guesses". But, for some reason, the "mound builders" were busy for a while doing something that is hard to explain. I've always asked the same question to the experts. "Why would people who were hunter/gatherers and mostly just trying to survive put so much effort into piling up dirt"? The best answer I've gotten was the mound was an annual or semi-annual gathering spot for separate tribes in the area. The tribes would gather at the same location to trade, learn things, look for spouses, etc. It was similar to what the Mountain Men of the Rockies used to do  annually at their "rendezvous". While there, they would put add dirt on the mound to mark the spot until they met again. There was probably a competition between tribes as to which could add more dirt. After many, many years, the mound grew higher and higher. This theory doesn't apply as strongly to the mounds around here. These mounds were surrounded by a moat and palisades. Defensive structures? Maybe. Too much of a puzzle for a simple man that is just passing through.

 

Those are the mounds in the background. The park has a nice paved path with descriptions posted along the way. There is also a semi-nice museum to wander through.

Other than that short exploration trip, I've just been hanging around the campsite and doing some walks. I've used this campground before to decompress after a long trip and am doing the same thing now. 

This is from the evening of the second night. Seems the front is hanging around.

Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be heading to the 27th and final campground of this trip. As with Willow Beach, it will be a campground that I've stayed at before. It is a great place for sunsets over Wright Patman Lake and I hope to see a couple while there. I think I'm ready to relax for another 3 days before finally getting home.


Picture #1 of the sunset last night

This is picture #2 of the sunset. I couldn't decide between this picture and the one above, so I posted both. 

 Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe I'll Cya down the road.


4 comments:

  1. Great pictures!
    What else would a moat and palisades be used for besides defense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe to keep something or someone in? Whow,,,,,lol

      Delete
  2. For what it's worth, I like the second one better. The tree along the bank seems to pull it all together, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at both again, I think I agree with you Kenny. Thanks

      Delete