Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Not Much In a 3 Day Stay

 Location:Kickapoo State Recreation Area; Danville, Illinois

It seems a long time ago, but it has only been three days since I left the rally. The check-in/check-out time at this campground is 3:00 and with a 4 hour tow, I figured to leave Goshen around 11:00. Nope, I hadn't thought about changing time zones back to central time. But it all worked out well with a stop at Walmart to get a few grocery items. Even on the weekend this campground is only about half filled. It's a comfortable campground but without a lake or pool within the campground, I guess it isn't very popular with families. The one item I planned to explore while staying here was the County War Museum in Danville. The reviews sounded good, so I thought I would give it a shot. Good for me that while looking for directions to the place I noticed it was closed on Monday and wouldn't be open until noon on Tuesday, which is today. Since my stay here was Saturday, Sunday and Monday it meant I would miss visiting the museum.

A travel picture somewhere in either western Indiana or eastern Illinois

Once you get on the secondary roads, there is corn everywhere with some soy beans every now and then.

Out Freedom's side window. Pretty clouds and lots of corn.

Campsite here at Kickapoo. It is nice to be able to raise the blinds on my back window. It was too crowded to do so at the rally. And of course, I forgot to take a picture of it. 

 
This recreation area used to be a very large coal strip mining operations before it closed and sold the land to the state which opened it as a recreation area. This is one of the roads I I wandered down.

After wandering around a little bit, you're rewarded with a nice lake view. Apparently, this is one of the former mining pits. Given a chance, ole Mother Nature can reclaim just about anything. 

I don't like these late check-in times at some of the COE campgrounds. For example, my next two campgrounds have 5:00 pm check-in times. The logic behind the late check-in time is so people can enjoy time on the lake during their last day of camping and still check-out before 4:00. That may be good for them, but for travelers, it isn't. But, as with most things in life, we "adapt and overcome". So, today is moving day and my plan to overcome is to 1) pack up the inside of Liberty2, except for the recliner, in preparation of moving, 2) Be at the museum when they open at noon, 3) Spend a maximum of 1 1/2 hours in the museum, 4) gas up Freedom, 5) Be back to the campground by 2:30 to finish getting Liberty2 ready to leave at 3:00, 6) with possible stops at Walmart, a Rest Area and a Hippie Memorial, arrive at my next campground around 5:00. 

Like I used to tell someone special at work before I retired, "you gotta have a plan". 

If the museum isn't another disappointment, I'll post about it in the next post. 

Ya'll take care of each other. Maybe, I'll Cya down the road.

  

1 comment: