Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Day 1 of Liberty-2

 Location: General Butler State Park; Carrollton, Kentucky

I'm tired. I guess I'm out of travel shape since I've been sitting around getting fat (actually lost weight) and lazy. This post will get me caught up on the two travel days to pick up my new RV which I think I will call Liberty-2. It will also include the three days and nights at the campground after picking her up. 

I packed up everything I could fit into Freedom and left Mansfield early on October 1, 2022 headed to Trenton, Ohio to pick up my new Forest River R-Pod 201. The travel distance was a little over 900 miles and since I'm older and wiser, I split the time up into two days. The first days stop was in Kattawa, Kentucky at a Day's Inn. While being bored at the motel, I started going over things in my mind that I may have forgotten to pack. Yeah, yeah, I made a list, in fact it was an electronic list on my phone. But, I couldn't remember for sure if I had packed my temperature gun to check the hub temps on the new RV. So, I found a Harbor Freight in Louisville and bought a new one on my way to the second motel. The second stop was at a Quality Inn in Carrollton, Kentucky which coincidentally is the location of the campground I'm at now. I purposely chose this motel location so I could drop by the campground to check things out before arriving with the RV. It was a good thing too. The campsite looked good, but I could see I needed more water hose since I had only brought 25 feet. One reason I chose this town and campground was due to a Walmart being close by. I headed to there to buy some more water hose. I'll be headed back there today to stock up on a few things now that I have the RV to put them in. 

I picked Liberty-2 up at RV Nation and spent about an hour or so with their technician going over things. Most of the items I was already familiar with since they were the same on Liberty. Some were new like solar panel, solar controller, inverter etc. I should have asked more question of the technician but I trusted him when he said they checked out all of the systems. I've since found two things wrong. One is very little pressure in the shower. This usually means some screen blocked with bits of plastic when the factory cut holes in the tanks. I removed the hoses and showerhead but that didn't solve the problem. Liberty2 has/had a "watermiser" in the shower which recycles water back to the fresh water tank until hot water reaches the shower. For years I have been doing manual by catching the shower water in a pitcher until it gets hot then using that saved water to flush the toilet as needed. I figured there must be a screen in the showermiser but couldn't find it. I called the company and talked with a nice technician named Gus. He talked me through a few things to checked but nothing solved the problem. I tried to remove the miser but couldn't. So Gus suggested removing the faucet assembly in order to remove the miser. I didn't like that idea because if I screwed something up behind the wall, it would be a major ordeal and I would be shower-less until I fixed it. So, using all of my engineering background, I solved the problem by buying a hack saw and removing the water-miser by cutting it away. Problem solved, water pressure restored. Adapt and overcome. 

The second problem is my water heater isn't working on propane. It does work great on electric so this problem is on the back burner. 

I thought about taking Liberty2 back to the dealer for repairs but decided against it since it could be days to order parts, schedule work, etc. I should be able to eventually fix everything at minimal cost.

Since Liberty2 is a bumper pull, that meant a new hitch up process and equipment. Also, the back-up camera on Freedom has started working intermittently. It is probably a dirty connection on the wiring harness, but I haven't really tried to pry it loose yet. So, instead, my plan B is use the tennis balls on radio antennas to line me for hitching up. I tried it at the dealer and it worked pretty good. It will take a little more practice, but it will eventually work out.

I'm too tired to write more. I have a lot to write but not right now.

This is the bridge I wanted to check out on the way to pick up Liberty2. After meeting an 18 wheeler in the middle I decided to go back to Louisiana by another route.

First site of Liberty2. In fact it the first site of an R-pod 201. I bought it without seeing one in person. 

Hitch meets ball. I checked how much Freedom would squat under the load. I was hoping she would do OK because I didn't want to get a load distribution hitch. Freedom's rear end squatted 1 inch and her front end only rose 1/4 inch. All should be good to go.

Hitched up in front of the dealership.

Walking to her to pull out and hit the road. The first miles of many, I hope.

Her first campsite. It was a easy angle to back in to but she backed easier than Liberty. The hitch didn't want to let go of the ball which was frustrating. I eased forward and back but didn't work. Eventually, she let go. There looked to be some galled marks on the ball. I put some lithium grease on the ball and will see how she does on the next leg home

 Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Barney I'm glad to see you're slowly but surely on the mend as far as your eye. But worst case scenario winter in Alabama's not too bad.

      Delete
  2. I just love camping in a new RV the first time. I can think of all kinds of things I want to do to change it to make it fit my life. I like to think of it as making it mine. And I prefer fixing its problems myself, I figure the more things I work on, the more I understand how the RV works and the easier it is for me to keep it running.

    So good luck with it, and I hope it gives you many years of good service, and takes you to many places where each one better than the last.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, this thing came with a 200 watt solar panel, 30 amp controller and a 2000 watt inverter. I'm going to have a learning curve since I was not interested in solar but it came as standard equipment now on this unit. I'm trying to oversimplify it but I'm saying the panel and controller is just a fancy battery charger. But I will have to learn what the numbers mean on the controller.

      Delete
    2. My experience has been more and more RVs are coming with solar panels and controllers because the manufacturers are trying to appeal to a younger crowd and the younger folks want the ability to not just boondock but stay at state parks where they might not have full hookups. This of course is a mixed blessing for me, I like to see young families camping next to a Lake instead of a crowded RV Park, so the kids can act like kids. But, it makes it more difficult for me to find boondocking spots.

      You're right its just a fancy way to charge a battery, which you may not ever need.

      Tom

      Delete
    3. Solar is magic if you boondock in sunny country, most everything I use on the RV is 12vdc.
      That said there has not been any RVing in the last 2 years...things change.

      Delete
    4. With the way I travel solar was never necessary. Now that I've been forced to accept it and move into the current century I guess I will get used to it. I hope the way it works is that I forget that I have it until I have an extended power outage and then realize,,,, hey I got solar.

      Delete
  3. the important number for standard AGM deep cycle batteries is 12.6 volts is full battery and about 12.1 volts is dead battery. I have been running solar full time since about March 2008.. My rig has 350 watts of panels. and two 100 AH batts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once watched someone move all their stuff from the old RV next door to a new one (they just bought?). There was a lot of stuff, looked like a pain in the you know where...:-)
    Good luck with your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured 10 days which means it'll take 20. How about an update on your blog? I hope and pray your grandson is still doing ok.

      Delete
    2. He is doing well, in remission for a few months now. I appreciate the prayers, I know how fast things can change with Leukemia.
      The blog.. it's HARD to get started again... I'll see what I can do, I appreciate the question.

      Delete