Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Upcoming Changes & Personal Demons Return

 Location: New Rockdale RV Park; Mansfield, Louisiana

I've been stationary for several months and the inside of Liberty looks like a mess. I've been living in Liberty full-time since the fall of 2013. Freedom has towed her a little over 50,000 miles and together, we've been to 46 of the lower 48 states with only Delaware and Rhode Island missing from that list. We have camped in over 300 different campgrounds and both have been reliable and only caused me a minimal amount of problems. But,,,,there's always a "but", uh? But, Liberty is clearly showing her age. Since I've been back in Louisiana, I've replaced the fill hose to her fresh water tank and patched a hole in the same tank. I've ordered her some new brake assemblies but haven't put them on yet. Her latest problem was her refrigerator stopped working. Instead of replacing it in kind, I ordered a small household refrigerator for a couple hundred dollars to get us by until I make some heavier decisions.

I need to decide whether to spend some money to get Liberty back up to par or sell her and get a new one. The amount of money to fix her up would be a 2 to 3 thousand dollars. Afterwards, she would still be an eight year old RV with more stuff waiting to go wrong. And of course, Freedom and Liberty has always been a pair, so if I sell Liberty, I would also sell Freedom. She has 150,000 miles on her so maybe a new RV and tow vehicle is the way to go. Whoever buys Liberty's will get a great, I'll guarantee that. It is my belief that both parties in a sell should feel they got a great deal.  

I've been thinking about getting a smaller RV since Liberty is a little more than I need. At the time I bought her, she was the smallest fifth wheel I felt comfortable buying. Years ago, I downsized from a 4 bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment and then to Liberty. I guess that progression needs to continue. Let's see, Liberty is about 280 square feet with high ceilings and two slide-outs. The RV I'm looking at is 200 square feet and no slide-outs. It's a Forest River R-Pod model 201. At 25 feet in length, she is 5 feet shorter than Liberty and weighs in at a little more than half of Liberty's weight. We will see how things unfold. I'm in no rush. I'll post more about that in a future post.

Forest River R-Pod model 201

Model 201 floor plan and some specs

I was going to talk a little bit about the return of some of my personal demons but have decided not to go too deep into it. But I will say they aren't alcohol or drug demons. We all have demons of different sizes and most of the time we have them buried or force them to go sit in a corner. Every now and then they decide on their own to come out and play. How frequently they come out to play is indicative of how much control they have on you instead of you on them. I've had mine under control for more than a dozen years but they have surprised me lately. I'm not sure what gave them the OK to return but I am sure I'll have them back in their place before long. After re-reading that paragraph, it sounds much more ominous than it really is. I learned long ago, in my late teenage years, how important it is "know thyself".     

Surprisingly, making this post has given me a good feeling. I forgot how much I liked writing it.   

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.   


13 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you. I, also, have been keeping an eye out for the "correct" smaller rig. My trailer is 24'6" and 147 SF. But as my decreptedness has progressed and toys like bikes went away, I find my area needs diminishing quite a bit. I just happened to measure today and find I can drop five feet of trailer length and lose no function with the right layout. Good luck on your search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barney. Be careful out there next to the border. Head on a swivel.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see you back!
    Some years ago I was hiking along a stream in the mountains east of Sacramento Calif. Way back in and up towards the top of the canyon there was an Amtrak train chugging along heading east, there are places back that way where the only way to see them is from the train or hiking.
    I told myself that someday I was going to take that train (The California Zephyr) just to see that view. I haven't done it yet...
    Good luck with your living quarters decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rob. Yeah, a train ride should be a change of pace. We'll see if it's worth it. I hope things are still going ok with your family and new home.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for this response, I was having trouble with Blogger!

    Anyway, good to see you active again. Looking forward to the train adventure. Once you get the itch for a new rig its hard to stop! Good luck on finding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I hope things are going according to plan for you.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're back Darrell. You know you don't have to be going anywhere to write something. I mean look at the drivel I write, you can do a lot better than I do even though you're sitting still.

    I know a lot of people love to travel by train, you sit back and relax, and they will take care of everything for you.

    One of the reasons I travel the way I do is I love being in control of where and when I go, and to me a truck and an RV gives me that freedom to come and go as I please.

    But most normal folks had rather be on a cruise ship, a tour bus, or a train, so I realize I have strayed far from the mainstream with my life choices.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tom. I was looking for something different so I started looking at trains. Changing to a truck camper like you would work for me. I'm looking to downsize but not that small. Take care out there.

      Delete
  5. Good to see your post.....Keep up your posting I use it regularly for research. Good Luck on what ever you decide to do. I too am battling with decisions on what to do about RV ing. I have a 2003 trailer that is always needing something but the new RV's are sending me into sticker shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Larry. I know what you mean about sticker shock. The R-Pod I'm looking at is in the low 20K which seems reasonable. Good luck on your search.

      Delete
  6. I've been thinking about train rides for years.Life keeps putting potholes in the way..The last time I was serious, a ride to the east coast to visit with an old army buddy from 1969.
    Then Covid...then I checked F/B and he had Lou Gehrig's and passed away..Last summer.Dang!
    Go for the choo-choo's if you can..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello David, thanks for your comment. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm still a little undecided about the train ride, but leaning to it. I will probably take my own advice and "not wait too long". Take care David.

    ReplyDelete