Thursday, December 12, 2019

Trip Planning Time

Location: New Rockdale RV Park; Mansfield, Louisiana

I've been back in Louisiana for a little over three months. During that time, I've visited with the family, especially the grandkids, did some repair work on Liberty and maintenance work on both Freedom and Liberty. Overall the weather has been nice with only one short spell of low temperatures down in the low 20's. Using my two ceramic space heaters, I'm good with temperatures down to about 25 degrees. Below that I'll sometimes turn on Liberty's furnace. I guess over the last 5 1/2 years, I've used the furnace maybe a half dozen times. But, I know the possibility of freezing weather is increasing as we get closer to January and February so I guess I'll be "forced" to take a little trip to warmer weather. 

Sometime around the first of the year, I'll be taking a slow trip to south Texas. My ole saying is "A destination with several journeys along the way". My departure date will depend on the local weather as well as the weather where I'll be heading. I'll also try to factor in full moon times, high/low tides along the Gulf coast, holidays, etc. Until I get farther south in Texas, I'll also be on the lookout for Blue Northerners blowing in from the plains. Those things can get it "colder than a ______ (you can fill in the blank with some body parts from a witch or well digger, your choice). 

I figure the trip will last two to three months and I'll be back here in mid-March or so. Afterwards, my long range thoughts for the heat of the summer are a trip up to D.C. by way of visiting some old Tennessee Valley Dams and the Smoky Mountains along the way. 

For those that have followed Brandon's ordeals over the years, he is doing great. His monthly blood-work continues to be normal and both organs are doing their jobs flawlessly. It's still an ongoing miracle and his attitude is an inspiration.

This post was just an update and I'll end it with a few family pictures.
The whole family. Now a days, Thanksgiving is about the only time everyone gathers in one place at the same time. It was a good time.

All four grandkids.

The boys playing some touch football in the front yard. The same front yard all three of our kids played in when they were growing up. The tradition carries on.

A professionally taken picture of Olivia and Nathan

Olivia invited me to the Veteran's Day service at her school. Of course, I thought it over a lot and after about a split second I said 'yes'. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm not sure I can say 'no' to her. Hmmmm,,,,, 
Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

15 comments:

  1. I plan to be in Decatur Alabama on April 28 for five months. It is a very nice area in general. I will watch out for you during your travels down this way. Del Rio is usually very nice weather starting mid Feb. Two Texas state parks, Seminole and Balmorhea out west are closed this year. I have travel itch something fierce right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barney. Alabama during the hottest part of the summer,,,wow! Thanks for the info about Seminole and Balmorhea, but I'm pretty sure I won't be going into west Texas this winter. I'll probably follow the coast down to the Valley then back up through the central part. But none of that is settled yet. Be safe out there,,,, enjoy your fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Grief. I totally missed the paragraph about Brandon during my first reading. That is great that he is doing well. He is one heck of a fighter you have there. Congratulations to him from The Old Fat Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you had done went and fallen off the end of the earth (a long time between posts) -- Have a fun time o your winter trip and if you decide to check out Tennessee Dams I will be waiting for you at Watauga Lake!! It is a TVA Lake Watauga Lake is a man-made reservoir built by the TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) for flood prevention, creation of aquatic habitat, and hydropower generation. ... The Watauga Lake Dam is an earthen structure -- 331 feet high, 925 feet long, and 1275 feet thick at its base......You can camp right by the dam or drive to the other side for some primitive camping -- Let me know when youre coming my way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny. It's hard to keep the blog up when not traveling since there are only a few new things to see and do. Tracing the Tenn-Tom River and the old Tennessee River through the TVA has been on my list for a while. I've never heard of Watauga Lake so I guess I'll learn more about it and the other TVA sites when I start my trip research. If I pass through that area, I'll give you a shout and buy you a cup of coffee. If you're traveling again, be safe out there.

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you're still alive and kicking. And good to see the family doing well. Don't even try saying no to a granddaughter, the look on her face will haunt you for the rest of your life.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom,,,,I hope you enjoyed your short time on the Gulf Coast

      Delete
  6. Happy to see another trip is in the planning. So happy to hear Brandon is doing well. Stay warm until you head south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. It's about time for an update on your blog too, uh?

      Delete
  7. You have a beautiful family. You are a blessed man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S,,,, I hope ya'll are enjoying south Florida for the holidays. Sail On!!!

      Delete
  8. Don't know how we missed you until now! Glad you are doing well and enjoying life! So glad to hear about Brandon! Those are great family photos, thanks for sharing. Can't believe how fast your grandkids are growing! Little Olivia is just too sweet, I can't imagine you saying No to that cutie! We've got a grandson joining the Navy next month, we couldn't be prouder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K&S (probably Shirley, :)). Your grandson is in for an adventure. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete