Sunday, July 21, 2019

Over the Continental Divide at Monarch

Location: Elk Creek Campground (National Forest); Gunnison, Colorado (elev 7,600 feet)

all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 Cell Phone

Thru Stop # 6
It was a short tow of only 155 miles but it was over the Continental Divide. We topped out at 11,312 feet. That is an elevation increase of more than 2 miles since I left Louisiana 10 days ago. Freedom handled the up and down of the pass in stride. I checked her transmission temperature on the way up and it only varied a few degrees from her normal temperature. The tow/haul mode did it's job on the downhill side and brakes were barely used. Everything went well. Of course Liberty did her job too by "following the leader". I arrive at the campground, which is a first for me in that it is a National Forest Service Campground. There was no check-in process at all. I made the reservation online and my name was on the post at my campsite. It is good that I remembered my campsite number. 

The campsite is electric only so I had to fill up Liberty's fresh water tanks at the shower before setting up camp. It took all of my water hoses to reach the spigot but got the job done. Just to be safe about not running out of water before my four days are up, I'll fill one of my 2 1/2 gallon water jugs and use it to flush the toilet.
This was taken after some of the storm had passed last night. It isn't real nice, but it is good enough for me to look at in the coming years and it will take me right back here.

Had to pass through some of the foothills but the real mountains are in that direction

This was one of the things I was looking forward to seeing. It is the Arkansas River near it's headwaters. It will flow from here and dump into the Mighty Mississippi before finding it's way to the Gulf of Mexico. Notice the tree in the upper left growing out of the rocks. Life's struggle.

Sometimes the river was calm

There is a hint of the bigger mountains in the distance. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm straddling the white line. No one was behind me.

I really liked this picture. It was a "wow"

Taking a breather at the top of Monarch Pass. The mountains in the background was great.

Once you're on the west side of the Divide, the land opens up into a wide valley with a small stream meandering through it. I think it is the beginning Gunnison River

This gives a little idea of how wide the valley is

Anyone want a house on a hill??

The mountains are framed by the road cut

The campsite for the next four days.
That is the Blue Mesa Reservoir in the background


Elk Creek Campground.
Liberty is down there somewhere

After setting up camp, I went back into Gunnison to find the Walmart. I ordered something and had it delivered there. 
After I "donated" my X-chocks to the Holiday Park Campground, I ordered a new set and had them delivered to the Walmart in Gunnison. Walmart makes like easier for travelers. 

I added the string and bungee clip to the X-chock. Hopefully, the bright string will catch my eye when I do my walk-around before pulling out.
My main reason for coming here is see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. I may do that tomorrow unless it rains then I'll go get something from the post office and maybe a prescription filled. Any way, whatever I do, it will be in view of some great looking mountains.  

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road.

3 comments:

  1. If I'm running off my water tank I keep several one gallon jugs around, just in case.

    I made a check list for things I really don't want to forget (again in some cases), like the TV antenna down, all the out side doors secured. There are around a dozen things on the list I can say "yes" to or go fix before I drive out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rob. I have a few collapsible 2 1/2 gallon jugs. Since I don't use them very often, they work great at collapsing flat for storage. I made up checklists for hitching and unhitching but quit using them after the first month of so of traveling. At first, I was moving campgrounds every 2 to 3 days, so it didn't take long to remember everything. I'm beginning to believe after staying in close to 250 different campgrounds over the last 5 years, I'm doing pretty good by only forgetting those chocks. Hey, by the way, you're behind on your blog updates.

    ReplyDelete