Sunday, July 16, 2017

"Roll on Mississippi,,,,,, roll on"

Location: Tom Sawyer's RV Park (el. 100 ft); West Memphis, Arkansas

all pictures taken with Nokia Lumia Icon 929 cell phone
(click pictures to enlarge)

Stop number 1
Well, it's been a month since I've posted anything to the blog. During that time, I've been parked in Mansfield getting some updates on my son. His condition is such that I can take a short trip and return to Mansfield by the first of September. The timing works out well since the Forest River Owner's Group RV Rally will be going on during the first week of August. That is where I got several thousand dollars of free work on Liberty. The post that describes that surprisingly beneficial experience is located here:
http://gozatravels.blogspot.com/2016/08/liberty-gets-free-facelift-plus-much.html

I decided to make the first day a long haul of 380 miles since I couldn't decide about anything to see along the way. It is getting more and more difficult for me to decide about places to go and things to see along the way. I used to be torn between directions to go since I was new on the road. I know I haven't seen nearly as much as I want to see, but I find myself second guessing places to go. I will read up on a place and find a nice campground then change my mind. So, in answer to that problem, I just decided to drive. The 380 miles got me to an old campground I stayed at a couple of years ago. It is Tom Sawyer's Campground in West Memphis, Arkansas and is located right on the banks of the Mighty Mississippi River. It is a great place to watch the tow boats working on the river pushing their barges up and down the river. It is like a parade as the boats and their tows pass by. I'm posting another link. It is to my blog post from 2 years ago when I was at this campground.
http://gozatravels.blogspot.com/2014/10/watching-towboats-work-and-taking-it.html 

Wow, two links in the same post. I must be getting too lazy to keep up with this blog. How about some pictures? 
There are lots of "thinking benches" along the bank. As the tows come by, people come and sit to watch them pass.

A small storm passed through during the day which left these clouds to put on a show at dusk.

One of the many tows that passed by. Pretty clouds, uh?

The tow boat,,,,, "disappearing around the bend. Roll on Mississippi, rolllll on." Some paraphrased lyrics from an old Charlie Pride song. I think of it just about every time I see the river.

Evening on the river. 
Tomorrow is moving day and I'll be heading a few hours north of here. It will be another "river town", but the campground is not on the river. It is another of my old home places and again will be the second time I've camped there. 

Ya'll take care of each other. I'll Cya down the road. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the Mighty Mississippi. The photos with the clouds are beautiful. Looks like a campground we will put on our wish list. Travel safe and may you have good weather.

    ReplyDelete